What changes have you made?

Options
pizzamyheart
pizzamyheart Posts: 1,836 Member
It is my understanding, that corny as it sounds, losing weight the healthy way, or getting healthy in general, really is a journey. Its a change in your life. Sometimes that is just a change of eating habits. But sometimes it is also an emotional change, changes in thought, or behavioral changes. Maybe its just a way of changing your way of thinking about yourself, about others, or about life. Maybe part of that journey is to quit worrying about stuff, or maybe worry about different things. What changes have you made in your thinking on this journey? Have they been permanent changes or do you occasionally struggle?

Replies

• pizzamyheart
    Options
    Obviously, the changes I made in my life last time I lost weight weren't permanent. I"m not sure if thats because of life happening around me and me just not being strong enough, or something. I'm not sure. This time around I haven't made any changes yet. I've been thinking about what I "need to do". Thinking about it every damn day. Just haven't gotten around to actually implementing anything yet. Because change is hard. I'll get there. I wonder if anyone else who has children has been derailed into starting all over again.
  • Reckoner68
    Reckoner68 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Obviously, the changes I made in my life last time I lost weight weren't permanent. I"m not sure if thats because of life happening around me and me just not being strong enough, or something. I'm not sure. This time around I haven't made any changes yet. I've been thinking about what I "need to do". Thinking about it every damn day. Just haven't gotten around to actually implementing anything yet. Because change is hard. I'll get there. I wonder if anyone else who has children has been derailed into starting all over again.

This is me. Staying the course once I implement change is the toughest part, bad moods hit me and I find myself struggling to want to just make it through another day, let alone make the 'good' decisions that are gonna keep me happy and healthy long-term.
  • pizzamyheart
    Options
    Reckoner68 wrote: »

This is me. Staying the course once I implement change is the toughest part, bad moods hit me and I find myself struggling to want to just make it through another day, let alone make the 'good' decisions that are gonna keep me happy and healthy long-term.

I deal with depression, so this is a struggle for me as well. Its hard to think about making right choices when sometimes its all you can do to drag our *kitten* out of bed. For me its usually to take care of other people. Then when it comes to me, I'm like....eff it.
  • Cowsfan1
    Cowsfan1 Posts: 7,937 Member
    Options
    It’s hard to say - I had lost weight before and put it back on every time - I just didn’t have discipline to keep it off - figured what’s a couple of cheat days gone hurt - well they turn into everyday is a cheat day - I’ve been maintaining around the same weight now since 10/2018 which is the longest i have - I guess I preach to my kids about being mentally tough and if you really want something you gotta be willing to work and sacrifice for it - but that I kinda beared no fruit if I didn’t follow the mantra I was trying to get them to buy into - i stopped making excuses for not working out and started working out regularly back in April - i usually get 4-5 days in a week even if it’s late and I don’t wanna go I drag my *kitten* there - I’m watching my macros more now - and while beer is still a vice of mine that I don’t plan on giving up well because beer amarite?? I usually plan for it and it not completely derailing my progress - I don’t know if I answered the question or not ? I think I just rambled on a bit - anyway that’s my 2 cents
  • pizzamyheart
    Options
    Cowsfan1 wrote: »
    It’s hard to say - I had lost weight before and put it back on every time - I just didn’t have discipline to keep it off - figured what’s a couple of cheat days gone hurt - well they turn into everyday is a cheat day - I’ve been maintaining around the same weight now since 10/2018 which is the longest i have - I guess I preach to my kids about being mentally tough and if you really want something you gotta be willing to work and sacrifice for it - but that I kinda beared no fruit if I didn’t follow the mantra I was trying to get them to buy into - i stopped making excuses for not working out and started working out regularly back in April - i usually get 4-5 days in a week even if it’s late and I don’t wanna go I drag my *kitten* there - I’m watching my macros more now - and while beer is still a vice of mine that I don’t plan on giving up well because beer amarite?? I usually plan for it and it not completely derailing my progress - I don’t know if I answered the question or not ? I think I just rambled on a bit - anyway that’s my 2 cents

its really just a conversation starter. No specific question. Sounds like you have a good mindset this time around.
  • bennettinfinity
    bennettinfinity Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    It won't be any big revelation, but the changes I made were to weigh and track my food consistently, incorporate some kind of movement or exercise (even if it's just walking) pretty much every day, track my weight and respond to trends.

In other words, inspecting what I expect.

I lost 60 lbs and have been in maintenance since 2014 and that's it - that's the formula... and any time I stray away from it, my weight will creep back up.
  • RevGym2
    RevGym2 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I think you would benefit from learning from me. Let’s make a better you starting today!!
  • caco_ethes
    caco_ethes Posts: 11,962 Member
    Options
    I’ve learned to be content with slow losses and mini habit changes
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    Weight loss isn't an issue for me but general health certainly is. For the last 25 years or so it's been reduced sodium, although that has really done nothing for my high blood pressure and I've been on meds since my mid 30s. Developed a sudden intolerance to caffeine and had to eliminate that completely. I've never carried a lot of muscle but then it started evaporating pretty dramatically. I was eating mainly a vegetarian diet at that point and nowhere near enough protein so then I had to bump up my protein intake, and start picking up heavy things. A few years ago I read about Omni Heart (cardiovascular health is a big one for me) and started incorporating some of the principles, like making half your plate fruit or veg at every meal.

So it's been more like small changes over time, some out of necessity and some voluntary improvements.
  • Versicolour
    Versicolour Posts: 7,164 Member
    Options
    I have become more dedicated to karate, but it hasn't actually helped me lose weight
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    The biggest change for me has been to my mindset. When I was a teen I worked out relentlessly and had disordered eating patterns because I wanted to look like my slim friends (who had eating disorders). In my early twenties I tried and failed to lose weight so many times, and my "motivation" was because I thought my partner would like me better. Then, last year I had some health issues that my doctor said could be relieved with weight loss, so I set my mind to it. As I lost weight and felt my health improving I realised that staying healthy should be something I do just for me and no one else. It isn't about looking a certain way or for gaining someone's approval, I do it so I can have a better quality of life.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    My mindset

Plant based diet

Learning to actually like exercise

Consistent logging
  • hixa30
    hixa30 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have been blessed with two gifts. One, a greater than average desire to be slim. Two, a love of sugar laden food. As a result, my weight has yoyoed over the last 30 years, I've gained nearly 300 kilograms in bits and pieces, and I lost 280 kilograms. My weight is rarely stable. I've been at goal weight 4-5 times.

About a year ago I decided to stop having processed sugar. I'm still struggling to get off it, but I'm working on it.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I learned that moderation works best for me and to not categorize foods as good or bad. Also lifting. Lifting is my holy grail.
  • mtndewme
    mtndewme Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I was doing well for a few years and now I'm back to emotional eating and sugar addiction. I let stress and depression take over. I did well with counting calories for one week and I've been "cheating" for the same amount of time. I think the main issue is that I'm down on the way I look which leads to negative outcomes. I'm hoping that I get back on track.....tomorrow 😑