Weight won’t budge

Options
Hey all, need some advice and maybe motivation- since June I’ve been eating healthy keto 80% of the time, I spin twice a week, do 10000 steps most days and do resistance training with a PT 2/3 times a week. My problem is this, last night we did my stats for the first time since I started in June. I’ve lost one measly pound and one inch in my thighs, every thing else has remained the same, I can see a difference and my clothes fit much better but surely the weights and measures should have changed some what - was gobsmacked at the figures and my PT was pretty suprised also as he knows how hard I’ve been working - what can I do??? I’m 47, maybe it’s my age, maybe hormones, ideally I want to lose a stone and drop a dress size.

Replies

• willsundaydnd
    willsundaydnd Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I know for myself I tend to yo-yo on weight and can vary a few pounds from one day to another, and I always weight first thing in the am. You might try weighing in one a day for a week. Also, you could be gaining muscle, which is great!
  • Tanya_Clair
    Tanya_Clair Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    You say you eat keto 80% of the time, but are you actually counting calories? A food scale could also be useful, just to be sure you are eating the calories you think you are
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,480 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I wouldn’t go making program changes based on one WI. That WI could be an outlier. There’s no way to know. It’s just that the scale does odd things sometimes. I’d want numbers over 2-3 weeks.

I’m a calorie counter so I can’t comment on 80% Keto. But I think whatever program we follow, weight loss is overwhelmingly about intake. If weight loss happened in the gym I wouldn’t have been stuck at 215 lbs for years.

And beware of your brain. You’re not too old to do this. But there’s a learning curve. And you need more data. Some of us weigh weekly. But loads of folks weigh every day. But start a system and establish a trend line. The scale is just a feedback machine. You need the information. Weight loss involves a lot of trial and error. That takes time and persistence. Keep tinkering and adjusting your program. You can do this if you keep trying.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hey all, need some advice and maybe motivation- since June I’ve been eating healthy keto 80% of the time, I spin twice a week, do 10000 steps most days and do resistance training with a PT 2/3 times a week. My problem is this, last night we did my stats for the first time since I started in June. I’ve lost one measly pound and one inch in my thighs, every thing else has remained the same, I can see a difference and my clothes fit much better but surely the weights and measures should have changed some what - was gobsmacked at the figures and my PT was pretty suprised also as he knows how hard I’ve been working - what can I do??? I’m 47, maybe it’s my age, maybe hormones, ideally I want to lose a stone and drop a dress size.

First, are you monitoring your calories? Keto keeps some people in a deficit without them counting, but not everyone. It's possible you're eating just a bit too many calories.

You can't go by one weigh in. For women with a monthly cycle, water weight can swing up and down several lbs throughout the month. You might have simply weighed on a day you were retaining water. Your PT should know that.

With a stone to lose, you really should be expecting @ 0.5lbs - 1 lb per week, so maybe 5 lbs since you started? If your calories are a little off and you were retaining a little water when you weighed, that could easily explain your 1 lb result.

Hang in there :drinker: