Is a 700 calorie diet healthy for weight-loss?

Options
2»

Replies

• lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    No, it is not healthy to eat 700 calories. You will lose weight, sure, and you will also possibly become ill, perhaps seriously and irreversibly ill. Don't do it. That is "eating disorder" level calorie restriction and there's no reason to go that extreme. If you eat 1200, you will lose weight in a sustainable, healthy way.
  • goodasgoldilox165
    goodasgoldilox165 Posts: 333 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    It is good that you are asking this question as it is important to your future life and health.

MFP does set safe levels for calories. Use the goals etc. on here and you will be safe.

Anything lower and you ought to get medical supervision.

(Be very careful about trusting anyone who is selling you something! Be sure to check their claims by asking someone qualified and who has your good health and not their profits as their prime concern.)

When thinking about whether it matters if you go very low calorie, remember that if you starve your body, then it will use muscle as well as fat to sustain itself. This is bad as you don't really want to lose muscle: your heart is a muscle.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,981 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    1200 calories is often needlessly low, let alone 700: https://www.aworkoutroutine.com/1200-calorie-diet/
  • poisonesse
    poisonesse Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Everyone else has already said it... no, it's not only not healthy, it's dangerous. We don't put weight on overnight, we can't take it off overnight, either. Take your time, your body will thank you!
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    A 3 yo child eats approximately 1200cal/day. They weigh 30-40lbs. Eat to support your body. Your health is important! Listen to the smart people above me.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,029 Member
    Options
    A 3 yo child eats approximately 1200cal/day. They weigh 30-40lbs. Eat to support your body. Your health is important! Listen to the smart people above me.

That is a very apples to oranges comparison though - 3 year olds are still growing and are usually very active.

However, OP certainly needs way more than 700 calories and probably more than 1200.

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,210 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:
    6. Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders
    I WILL:
    • I will allow members to share experiences without judgment. Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal. A growing list of support resources can be found on our Eating Disorder Resources page.
    • I will understand that people have a complicated relationship with food.

I WON’T:
    • I won’t use any aspect of our service to promote anorexia, bulimia or any unsafe dieting practices.
    • I won’t promote very low-calorie diets.
    • I won’t diagnose other members.
    If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    JustSomeEm
This discussion has been closed.