My legs feel like jello!

Options
I just did my first day back in the gym in a loooonngg time and I decided to do leg and booty day. My legs are JELLO! Is this good or did I over work myself???

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Likely that you overdid it!
  • slimdownt
    slimdownt Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    d41d1xh9obru.png
  • essihelk
    essihelk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    probably overdid it! but try stretching after your workouts and eating a banana! helps with the soreness. great that you took that first step!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    DOMs is pretty normal, but you likely also overdid things. I've been out of the gym all summer because I've been spending a lot more time cycling and swimming...I'll be going back in September and as usual I will ease in. Fitness is something that is built...you can't just go from 0-100.
  • JakyiaMillner
    JakyiaMillner Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    It’s weird though cause I only did 3 sets of 10 (squats, lunges, step ups , and calf raises) 😭😭😭
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    It’s weird though cause I only did 3 sets of 10 (squats, lunges, step ups , and calf raises) 😭😭😭

Are you running an actual program catered towards a beginner?

It doesn't seem like a lot, but that's a good deal of leg volume just starting out. Most beginner programs are full body 3x per week and would only have you doing one leg exercise on a given training day.

• ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I just did my first leg day on a new program, I've got DOMS too. I took a little too long of a break (2 weeks) and I regret it.

Mine are more stiff than jello, but I'm feeling you.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Probably overdid it. It’s pretty common for newbies or people who have been away for a long time to go too hard at first. The good news is it will go away in time. Make sure you take a break if you feel like you need one (no shame in that), warm up pre workout, stretch and cool off after your workout.
  • JakyiaMillner
    JakyiaMillner Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Okay thank you! And no I am not a runner I did walk to track twice before working out but that was it.
  • oceangirl99
    oceangirl99 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm NO expert! but if they feel like Jello immediately after working out, I don't think it is DOMS (Delayed onset of muscle soreness - I think from lactic acid/muscle tearing) - although that will likely come! Your muscles are more likely tired. My muscles almost always feel at least a bit like Jello after working out but I don't really get sore anymore. BTW I like the Jello feeling...... reminds me of my workout for a bit!
  • Rawrmachin3
    Rawrmachin3 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Doubt you overdid it. It’s just because your body is no longer adjusted to the movements and stress since you said it’s been a while.

I always have to hold onto the rails going down the steps at my gym when I leave from doing legs. Happens every week as I push myself but I’m a power lifter so it’s a bit different.

The only time you’re going to find you’re overtraining is when you’re not able to recover within about a weeks time. Being sore a day or even 3 after a workout isn’t a bad sign. You’re playing stress on the body which is what helps it grow.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I just did my first day back in the gym in a loooonngg time and I decided to do leg and booty day. My legs are JELLO! Is this good or did I over work myself???

Fairly normal when you haven't worked a muscle in a long time.
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    DOMs is pretty normal, but you likely also overdid things. I've been out of the gym all summer because I've been spending a lot more time cycling and swimming...I'll be going back in September and as usual I will ease in. Fitness is something that is built...you can't just go from 0-100.

All of this.

Cyclist here too... dropped down to twice/week in the gym and greatly deloaded squats and deadlifts to prevent fatigue from impacting my cycling.
  • vollkornbloedchen
    vollkornbloedchen Posts: 2,243 Member
    Options
    ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fbrittkai.files.wordpress.com%2F2013%2F01%2Fleg-day.png&f=1
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    FYI, I did leg day last Wednesday. It took me until Monday of this week for 100% of the DOMS to be gone. I mean it was down to tenderness in the hamstrings by Sunday.

I also didn't drop the water weight until Monday. I dropped 1.9lbs from Sunday to Monday.

Today is leg day :D
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Options

It's good. Any let workout when you go back to the gym will leave your legs feeling like that plus, you will walk a little like a Duck. Slapping your feet on the floor for about an hour.

Stretch a little (Not too much as the inflammation might cause a tear), drink a lot of water, eat well and give it a couple of days for the soreness to go away. (Usually, by day 3 or 4 it should be fine)

The second time won't be as hard and by the 5th workout, you should have a nice pump going on.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I had a dip in leg workouts June/July and when I was ready to get back to it, I did what I considered a smallish workout with 3-4 kinds of squats, a few sets each, 10 or so squat jumps and same burpees. I was sore for DAYS AND DAYS, the can't sit down onto a chair without laughing about it kind of sore. I had been running couple times a week and doing elliptical and stairs cardio, skate a couple hours a week, just nothing really "resistance" like. You're gonna feel like a noodle for a while but scale back maybe and keep at it! It passes, and you won't die :)
  • scrook30
    scrook30 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm so glad to hear this. I did a boot camp on Monday and it's Wednesday and I'm still holding the railing going down the stairs. It is getting better! :)