Agave vs Organic sugar

Options
2»

Replies

• smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I don't think agave is great either due to its processing (it's like HFCS)

This. I read somewhere that agave was no healthier than other sugars because they process it the same way. You're better off with Stevia. And even Stevia can be over processed.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    I don't think agave is great either due to its processing (it's like HFCS)

This. I read somewhere that agave was no healthier than other sugars because they process it the same way. You're better off with Stevia. And even Stevia can be over processed.

I read that on webMD
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Agave is basically really fancy HFCS.

In fact, it's HIGHER fructose than HFCS. The only difference is it's made from a different plant.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Agave is sugar. It's almost entirely fructose, which is really not great for you. If you care about the purity and environmental impact of your sugar, sure, 'natural' sugars like local honey are better. But metabolically it's all the same.

Did you look at this site?
    http://www.healthaliciousness.com/nutritionfacts/nutrition-comparison.php?o=35192&t=19335&h=&s=100&e=100&r=

The site compares them. It has 100X more vitmains and healthy qualities than sugar. It has more vitmins, calcium, iron, etc. So thats what I meant.

Ok, so if I offer you a compound that has, say 1 part per trillion of potassium, and then offer you another compound that has 1 part per million potassium, can you really call the second compound an excellent source of potassium? No.

Let me repeat the example in a non-science way. Let's say I present you with two envelopes of money. One has one cent, and the other has a dollar. By choosing the envelop with one dollar, will that make you a rich person? No.

Thank you for the break down but I am not slow so please be respectful. We all come on here to chat and get information. Not to be treated like an idiot. If that was not your intention I am sorry but that is the way you came off.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Agave is sugar. It's almost entirely fructose, which is really not great for you. If you care about the purity and environmental impact of your sugar, sure, 'natural' sugars like local honey are better. But metabolically it's all the same.

http://www.healthaliciousness.com/nutritionfacts/nutrition-comparison.php?o=35192&t=19335&h=&s=100&e=100&r=

The site compares them. It has 100X more vitmains and healthy qualities than sugar. It has more vitmins, calcium, iron, etc. So thats what I meant.

Ok, so if I offer you a compound that has, say 1 part per trillion of potassium, and then offer you another compound that has 1 part per million potassium, can you really call the second compound an excellent source of potassium? No.

Let me repeat the example in a non-science way. Let's say I present you with two envelopes of money. One has one cent, and the other has a dollar. By choosing the envelop with one dollar, will that make you a rich person? No.

Thank you for the break down but I am not slow so please be respectful. We all come on here to chat and get information. Not to be treated like an idiot. If that was not your intention I am sorry but that is the way you came off.

When presented with as respectable a source as Healthaliciousness.com, sometimes people dumb down what they are trying to get across.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options

I'm sorry you found my response offensive. It was certainly not my intention. It was my sincere attempt to deliver information.

Keep in mind that in these forums, we cannot see the expression on peoples faces, hear the intonation in voices, etc, that would guide a more appropriate response. A lot of guess work is done with trying to respond at the appropriate level for the requester. I don't think you are "dumb", you did the right thing by asking questions and seeking criticism and advice. By being open to learning and exposing oneself to fair debate with other equally well-intentioned and inquisitive people, we grow smarter and learn off of one another.

I wish you great luck in your journey.