1500 calorie plan?

Options
Hi,
I’m in my mid 20s with about 40-50 lb to lose and have been following a 1500 calorie meal plan for a few days. My scale broke so I am not sure how much exactly I weight but I am 5’3.

Has any of you tried and succeeded eating 1500 calories a day without exercise?!

I’m currently extremely busy and have to pick and chose my battles so I chose meal prepping over exercise and walk whenever I get a chance.

Replies

• lisaturnbull
    lisaturnbull Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I’m just starting on 1500 cals I wasn’t sure what to start with to be honest x
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    How many calories are appropriate for you depends a large part on your weight, which is a big part of the equation for how many calories your body burns. If you think you have about 40 to 50 pounds to lose, I put your weight at about 180. That would give you a maintence calories somewhere between 1915 and 2150 depending on your activity level. So I think 1500 is reasonable for your goals. You should lose somewhere in the ball park of a pound to a pound and a half a week.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I’m in my mid 20s with about 40-50 lb to lose and have been following a 1500 calorie meal plan for a few days. My scale broke so I am not sure how much exactly I weight but I am 5’3.

Has any of you tried and succeeded eating 1500 calories a day without exercise?!

I’m currently extremely busy and have to pick and chose my battles so I chose meal prepping over exercise and walk whenever I get a chance.

You don't succeed and fail based on total calories eaten you succeed or fail by the amount of calorie deficit you create and whether or not it is sustainable for you. You lose weight at around 3500 calories per pound. To lose a pound a week you would need to create a daily deficit of 500 calories. If you burn about 2000 calories per day you would be on track.

Sustainability though happens mostly between the ears once you have a eating routine figured out that doesn't leave you hungry or feeling deprived all day. For a lot of people it means learning to accept that your days won't all be perfect and that is okay you just log it and move on to the next. Many people, myself included, are guilty of quitting in the past because we ate too much one day and thought we ruined things. That is not how it works. You don't need to lose weight everyday just most days. The most important thing is to never quit. If something isn't working find some possible solutions, experiment to find what works, then adapt.
  • 1BlueAurora
    1BlueAurora Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    If your scale is broken, use a measuring tape to see what your starting bust, waist and hip measurements are. Then measure yourself every two weeks or so to see if there's a difference. Regarding 1500 calories a day, I'd trust the MFP calculator and do your best. Think of food as fuel and choose accordingly. I just ate half of a cucumber and logged it in for 8 calories. I wanted a serving of Ruffles potato chips, but that didn't fit in with my daily calorie goals. I also tend to eat a couple eggs a day for 74 calories each, and find that I have the energy from the protein to feel pretty good and skip stuffing myself with hash browns, bacon and toast.