Negative calorie adjustment and garmin

I am so confused about this negative calorie adjustment situation. I have my garmin connected and negative calorie adjustment on. And I am constantly getting a negative adjustment (I walk at least 10,000 steps a day, about half those days it is with running). I was constantly getting a negative adjustment, so changed my activity level on MFP from ‘active’ to ‘lightly active” as per a message I saw that recommended ddoing this if I was constantly getting the adjustment. But it hasn’t changed my adjustment at all and now is just telling me to eat WAAAAAY less calories than is recommended ... help!!! Am I doing something wrong? Years ago when I used MFP it didn’t do this as much with the negative adjustment, if I walked 10,000 steps it typically came out even or just a few negative calories, not 100s!!!

Replies

• Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Your adjustment amount is the number of calories Garmin thinks you burned minus the number of calories that mfp thinks you burned. If you’re consistently getting negative adjustments, your Garmin is estimating your calorie burn at less than mfp think you’ll burn.

How many of the 10k steps are from purposeful exercise (waking/running/etc)? Your activity setting on mfp should be based on your level of activity not including any exercise. For example, I average 12k steps a day. 8K of those are from running. Therefore, I am set to sedentary on mfp (since I typically only take 4K steps a day not including exercise).

You may want to consider setting yourself to the lowest activity setting on mfp. There’s no risk in doing this if you have a tracker linked as it will adjust accordingly and that will lower the amount mfp expects you to burn (which should then lessen the negative adjustments).
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Are the workouts from Garmin coming over to MFP?
    Are you manually logging anything on MFP?

Tap on the Exercise Diary - Garmin Adjustment field for more data.

Is the last sync within about the last hour?
    If very distant then Garmin not sending updated figure for total calories burned - which does happen.

Does it appear correct for total calories burned at that time stamp?
    I've seen Garmin send a workout over but a slight delay on increasing it's own total burned figure for a workout synced from device.

Both those would cause removal of calories from a total that doesn't contain them in the first place - causing effect you see.