Trying out CrossFit.

Options
After wanting to try it for years, I've finally signed up for a 3 week trial. I'm nervous and excited at the same time! So many times I've eaten good and worked out only to totally fall off the wagon after 4-5 months. I'm hoping the group atmosphere and the cost will keep me motivated. I turn 40 in 11 months and I'd love to drop a good 75-100lbs by then.

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    Options
    Good for you! Go have fun!
  • 7elizamae
    7elizamae Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Crossfit it the very most fun I've ever had working out. I love it! I was a complete newbie at 50, and am now hooked. Let us know how it goes!
  • PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    I did a few CrossFit moves this week and LOVED them!
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    OP - let us know how you like it after you try it.
  • PiscesIntuition
    PiscesIntuition Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    @zebasschick Are you a CrossFitter?
  • Butt_Snorkeler
    Butt_Snorkeler Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Well ur already halfway a crossfitter before even crossfitting. (by talking about it) 😉
  • BelleDST25
    BelleDST25 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congrats on doing something you've always wanted to do. I know you will enjoy. Did it off and on for over 5 years. With anything else, it only works if you're doing the mechanics correctly and eating to fuel your body (regardless of seeking weight loss or not).
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    Options
    @zebasschick Are you a CrossFitter?

nope, but i could see it being fun.

pre-injury, i was more into weights and running and dancing all night.
  • tinafightsfire
    tinafightsfire Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    2 days before my 51st birthday I walked into a local box and fell in love with Crossfit. I have wanted to do CF for years but was scared until a co-worker convinced me to talk to the owner/coach the box she recently started going too. After being very blunt and telling him "his kind" scared me, he talked me into taking a free class and I have not turned back since. I will say there are days I doubt myself as I am the oldest, biggest, weakest, and slowest...... but knowing that I can complete a WOD (even if scaled) has me smiling.

Prior to joining CF, I lost 93 lbs on my own then I fell out of the wagon and rolled down the hill and found 30 of it again.... I am looking forward to CF not only helping me meet my weight loss goals but to get firmer and stronger.......

Good Luck OP on your 3 weeks.... You will like it!
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Obviously, there are a lot of people who love CF, given how many CF gyms and participants there are now. And, I get a kick out of watching the CF games but CF is NOT for people like me.

I checked out my local CF gym several yrs ago and it was a hard pass for me because it's largely based on group/team activities and externally imposed demands and motivational techniques.

Being a guy who prefers working out on his own and doing things in his own way and at his own pace and who doesn't like being "motivated" by others by being encouraged (aka shouted at) to do "better", it was,clear that CF was NOT for me.

However, I do have a variety of CF type gear, like battle ropes, a sled, a 200# tractor tire w/3 sledge hammers and a,pair Farmer walk carry bars which I use when I'm in the mood for that type of activity.