Suggestions for exercise that does not strain ankles or feet

Options
LAT1963
LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
I have serious problems with the ankle joint on one side and the ligaments in both of my feet, and while the first impulse is to swim, I managed to partially tear my achilles while swimming, so I no longer trust that option.

What do people suggest for upper body and core exercise that doesn't stress the muscles or tendons below the knees? Weight-training, calisthenics, cardio suggestions?

Thanks.

Replies

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a physical therapist/physio for this at all? If not that would be my first suggestion. Specifically ask about what sorts of exercise you can do outside of PT exercises.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    Options
    BodyPump classes are pretty foot-friendly; I got into them partly because I was looking for cardio that wouldn't stress my dodgy ankles.

(And I also found swimming hard on the ankles - how can it not be, with all that constant kicking against pressure? I started to get quite curt with people who suggested it!)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I have serious post traumatic arthritis at my ankle, which has also caused a series of tendon issues in my effort to compensate for the problem. According to my dr, anything involving running, dancing and hopping around, even power walking, is off limits for life and so is cycling. Also strength training that involves lifting while standing, e.g. squats, is strictly forbidden.
    In my case, I have settled in a combination of swimming and pilates, based again on dr's instructions. While swimming, there are limitations, like which exercises and styles to focus on and which to avoid, for examble fins are not allowed in my case.
    I suggest you do not follow any advice on the internet or from well meaning friends, and ask your dr for advice. If getting into any new exercise, make sure to also consult with a trainer who actually knows what he/she is doing (e.g. has a college/university degree) and not just any random person employed at the gym.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    Rowing or rowing machine?
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,626 Member
    Options
    Though come to think of it kayaking would put less pressure on ankles than traditional rowing.
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Pull ups. I should imagine seated weight training exercises or machines would be ok. Maybe even a dumbbell row, as you're not moving the legs. Maybe some TRX work?
  • LAT1963
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Wow. Wealth of good ideas so far.

As for PT, my health insurance network has about a 6 month lead time for getting into PT; though I've had some so far it's just not accessible enough to be the 'go-to' it should be.
    LKArg it sounds like my situation is similar to yours--tendon issues secondary to traumatic arthritis.

I own a sea kayak but am currently too wide to sit in it (! 🙄). It is hard to kayak as a regular exercise program because of the 'overhead' of getting to the water and then getting equipment onto and off the water. I basically need a whole day, which means it's a good cross-training for the occasional weekend but can't be my bread and butter fitness go-to.

I live about an hour from a world-class flat-water wildlife-viewing sea-kayaking destination--Elkhorn slough--and a bit farther from Monterey, which is at the north end of the Big Sur coastline and offers more challenging kayaking with waves and currents to contend with, for those with the fitness and skill level for those conditions. I've taken classes for those conditions but don't feel competent with those skills even if I was fit enough for that kind of water now, so I'd stick to Elkhorn.
  • LAT1963
    Options
    Do kettlebell swings get lower legs much or mostly upper legs and core?
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    acpgee wrote: »
    Rowing or rowing machine?

Rowing probably wouldn't be a good option given the op's ankle and feet issues.
  • HilTri
    HilTri Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I say spin with cycling shoes for more stabilization.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    LAT1963, have you tried chair dancing or chair aerobics? if you can move enough to raise your heart rate consistently, it can be a winner. you sit on a chair and move everything to music - faster music should let you increase your heart rate more. i use my abs a lot, move up and down, and when i can, move my arms in fun, dancy moves. i just dance like crazy.

or you could do something like this with weights if it didn't bother your ankle
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZx1iWNM4MI

i have ankle problems and can't ride a bike - any kind.
  • LAT1963
    Options
    wow that's great--I'm gonna have to look for more Paul Eugene vids.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    When I was recovering from my ankle injury, I found swimming impossible, but aqua-jogging or aqua-robics much better.