Pull ups help

Options
Apologies if this isn't the right place to put this.
I'm looking at starting pull ups. However every time I try I do about .5 of one 😂 and then either my arms ache or I dont posess the power to lift my body weight. Is there any tips or excercises I can do to help me achieve these?
I've thought about pushups, grip strengtheners to increase my upper body strength. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I did hangs and ladder routines.

Simply hanging from the bar using a timer will increase your grip strength by a lot. See how long you can hang, keep doing that and your time will go up as your grip strength increases.

On the pullups, use bands or a chair if needed so you aren't trying to lift your entire body weight. Do 1, then 2, then 3..2...1 as you are able. That's the ladder.

Another helpful trick is getting your chin up there over the bar and simply holding as long as possible while gravity fights you back down.

Aussie pullups are great too. Do a search on youtube or google. You'll also find a ton of free tips and exercises.

Best of luck!
  • SnifterPug
    SnifterPug Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I have been working on pull ups too. GMB Fitness website has a very good pull up tutorial with progressions.

If you have access to a gym then so much the better. You need to build up your back strength, probably. Most people think it is an arm exercise but it is actually full body with heavy emphasis on the back, especially as you start the pull. Things like inverted rows and lat pull downs will serve you well.

For actually doing the pull up, if you have access to a gym with an assisted pull up machine then give it a go. If not then you could try resistance bands to help you - you will need to Google the technique.

Another good thing to do is eccentric pull ups - use a box or chair or just jump to get into the top position and then lower yourself all the way down. Others have mentioned dead hangs (at top or bottom position) which are good, especially for grip strength.

Good luck.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    The Gravitron machine if they have one at your gym or elastic bands if they don't. Start w/about 50% of body weight/resistance and work your way down to zero.

Accessory exercises/lifts would include anything involving the upper pecs, shoulders, biceps and lats. Compound movements would be preferrable. Some examples would include decline pushups (feey above head, the higher the feet the better), lat pulldowns and seated rows.
  • igutt
    igutt Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    One exercise that will help is to jump up into a pull up and come down as slowly as possible but there is a lot more that you can do that’s just one that I remember
  • Movemoreguy22
    Movemoreguy22 Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Try Australian pull ups 1st get abit of strength behind you. Remember to active your scapulas before the pull so your working your back and not your arms.
    To make it harder decrease the incline...

Then get up on the bar like everyone says by jumping on a block and do the negative slowly and keep doing it until u cant do no more..
    Next progression jumping pull ups .