Update on me - re: "I cant do it"

Options
Thank you to all the people who took time out to give me tips and ideas on how to feel more satiated.

I incorporated a few tips and was able to stop eating at 1,700 calories yesterday. I reduced my morning oatmeal size, added protein as a snack after dinner and ate a high fat dinner. (Wondering if the fat grams are too high now).

Here was my menu:

9am Breakfast: 70g of oats (down from 85g) with almond milk and frozen blueberries. Coffee with 2% milk. (Approx 350 calories)

1pm Lunch: 60g of light marble cheese and 1.5 whole wheat english muffins. (Approx 350 cal)

6:30pm Dinner: Salmon fillet cooked in fry pan with drizzle of oil, then topped with spoonful of mirin, soy sauce and balsamic reduction and sprinkled with sesame seeds. Side dish was 2.5 cups of chopped red cabbage cooked in fry pan with 1 tbls of sesame oil and 1 tbls mirin. Topped with 1 tbl of sesame seeds. (700 cal)

Got hungry an hour later so ate 2 cups Cheerios with almond milk.
(230 cal)

9pm hunger: Ate 1 cup of smooth plain cottage cheese with some cocoa powder, stevia and frozen cherries on top.

Btw in my original post i should have noted that i am 5'6 and 172 lbs and on the big boned side. My goal is to lose a half pound per week.

Replies

• Anabirgite
    Anabirgite Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Your salmon dinner sounds delicious.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    If it works for you, don’t worry about the fat. Glad you found something that’s helping!
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I don't think I replied to your original post. Its good to see you took on board some of the ideas others gave you. I hope you are feeling much less hungry now within your calorific allowance. It can be a radical change taking control and working towards a more healthy self. I'm inclined to agree, 0.5 of a pound weekly loss is probably right because you are not desperately far away from what will be a good weight for you.

I wonder if you are using the guided set up, if you are this will provide guidance for your daily food groups as well as fibre, keeping your log should reveal if you are too high on fats. There are some of us who do find carbs an issue but many find they also help one to stop the munchies, not everyone needs to keep to under 100 grams a day though some do. Fibrous foods can also help you feel more full too. I've seen somewhere that the fibre content can be offset against carbs. I'm sure you can find information on offsetting fibre against carbs. I've found increasing my protein levels using what should be a vegan product, it seems to contain more amino acids than other protein powders. I use it with semi skimmed goat milk which is type 2 dominant casein has helped me, using it on my cereal this way I achieve the other nutritional benefits of milk.

I wish you every success in achieving a dietary regime which will set you up for your long term healthy happy future. This is about what works for you this can all be such a personal thing.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I also like the sound of your salmon dinner and it's great that you've found something that helps you stop eating. Would it work if you baked the salmon, wrapped in foil, and topped with the mirin/soy/balsamic reduction? Less oil needed if so.

No rush, but maybe try adding a pile of other stir-fry vegetables too so that you don't get bored with red cabbage. Bell peppers, mushrooms and courgette (zuccini?) will add bulk for minimal calories. You probably don't need a tblsp of oil to cook the veg either. I use 5g, which is only 1 tsp, to cook my chicken and my veg in a wok.

Similarly with your lunch, look to reduce to 1 muffin instead of 1.5 and add a large side of salad - leaves, baby spinach, thinly sliced red and/or white cabbage, cucumber, radish will give bulk and a fuller feeling for less calories than that half a muffin. You also seem to have reduced the protein (cheese) here - bump that back up.

Also, consider gradually reducing your oats a little further and adding a couple of large spoonfuls of the Greek yoghurt that you mentioned previously. I've pretty much replaced my soya milk with no-sugar soya yoghurt completely, but you could mix the yoghurt with the almond milk that you have with your oats. You could have yoghurt and berries for a post-dinner snack too. Like the cottage cheese, it would boost your protein even further and potentially make you feel fuller for longer than the cheerios do. Berries will have fewer calories than cheerios or bran buds. The 56g of raspberries in my yoghurt this morning was only 18 calories.

Good Luck. You'll find that making small tweaks help reduce calories whilst still eating, essentially, the same foods and giving you the same feeling of being full.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Great news!
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    joowelz wrote: »
    Thank you to all the people who took time out to give me tips and ideas on how to feel more satiated.

I incorporated a few tips and was able to stop eating at 1,700 calories yesterday. I reduced my morning oatmeal size, added protein as a snack after dinner and ate a high fat dinner. (Wondering if the fat grams are too high now).

Here was my menu:

9am Breakfast: 70g of oats (down from 85g) with almond milk and frozen blueberries. Coffee with 2% milk. (Approx 350 calories)

1pm Lunch: 60g of light marble cheese and 1.5 whole wheat english muffins. (Approx 350 cal)

6:30pm Dinner: Salmon fillet cooked in fry pan with drizzle of oil, then topped with spoonful of mirin, soy sauce and balsamic reduction and sprinkled with sesame seeds. Side dish was 2.5 cups of chopped red cabbage cooked in fry pan with 1 tbls of sesame oil and 1 tbls mirin. Topped with 1 tbl of sesame seeds. (700 cal)

Got hungry an hour later so ate 2 cups Cheerios with almond milk.
    (230 cal)

9pm hunger: Ate 1 cup of smooth plain cottage cheese with some cocoa powder, stevia and frozen cherries on top.

Btw in my original post i should have noted that i am 5'6 and 172 lbs and on the big boned side. My goal is to lose a half pound per week.

I'll pray for you, if you pray for me..... pulling for you!
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Big thumbs up for finding your way through the thicket!

When in doubt, add healthy fats, protein, high fiber vegetables, and possibly some more calories as needed, and scale back the refined carbs. That's usually enough to get hunger under control and a diet on track.

Fat is very filling and satisfying, and healthy fats, such as the ones found in salmon, are healthy. In no way does your meal itinerary as posted look like it's too high in fat.
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    Oh here you are. Glad you are finding things to help you. Your other thread got a bit off track. But some great advice in there if you could find it lol :)
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,442 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear there's progress. I'm betting that with continued experimentation, you'll settle on a sustainable course. Best wishes!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    lgfrie wrote: »

When in doubt, add healthy fats, protein, high fiber vegetables, and possibly some more calories as needed, and scale back the refined carbs. That's usually enough to get hunger under control and a diet on track.

Fat is very filling and satisfying, and healthy fats, such as the ones found in salmon, are healthy. In no way does your meal itinerary as posted look like it's too high in fat.
    Re:The bolded. For some this is true. For others not so much. Personally, I don't find fats satiating at all. But, again, for me, I do find protein and high fiber vegetables, beans and some grains highly satiating.

OP, glad you are discovering what works for you. I remember always being hungry also. I have found, through trail and error, a way that works for me and hunger isn't an issue anymore. All the best!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    lgfrie wrote: »

Re:The bolded. For some this is true. For others not so much. Personally, I don't find fats satiating at all. But, again, for me, I do find protein and high fiber vegetables, beans and some grains highly satiating.

OP, glad you are discovering what works for you. I remember always being hungry also. I have found, through trail and error, a way that works for me and hunger isn't an issue anymore. All the best!

Same with the exception of grains. My diet is actually pretty low fat most of the time. I almost never have to worry about my protein hitting my goal but I will have to watch my fat macro some days and add fat back to my diet to keep it high enough.