how many days do you workout?

2»

Replies

• koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    I exercise every day but that doesn't mean going to the gym / a hard workout every day. most days it's elliptical, strength training, walking the dogs ... some days it's just walking the dogs and a bit of zumba. But I am trying to make sure I move/am active every day.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    edited August 2019
    how many days do you workout?

Just the days that end in "y"!

But different things each day. Some days are long walks. Other days I might row ... or cycle ... or climb stairs ... or run ... or go to pilates class ...

But if you've not been active, ease into it.

• BasedGawd412
    BasedGawd412 Posts: 346 Member
    7 days a week
  • warukimedesu
    warukimedesu Posts: 27 Member
    Weights 4x, run 2x, cycling 1x per week. Not doing any kind of strenuous exercise on any given day makes me feel guilty.
  • tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    4 days a week, progessively overloading by 5% per month per muscle group
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    I run 3 days a week, but I have had occasion to only get in 2 days if something comes up. I don’t feel it is necessary at this point for me to do more than that. That doesn’t mean it won’t change later on, but it’s only been about 2 months. I also add in an extra walk with the dog when the weather is nice, but I don’t count that as intentional exercise.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,966 Member
    6 days now, 4 days on-water row, 2 days spin class.

Not where I started, when I started being more active around 18 years ago. Start was less often (maybe 2-3 days a week) and less intense activities. I vote with the "start with alternate days at most" crowd, then suggest increasing intensity, frequency, duration, or type(s) of exercise as that initial practice starts feeling easier, fun, and logistically manageable.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    edited August 2019
    I'm active every day. I lift weights twice per week and do other activities the other days - gardening, swimming, yoga, walking, hiking, trail maintenance. This schedule is optimal for my sleep and mental health.

I started with a 20 minute walk at lunch time and slowly worked up.
  • HoneyBadger302
    HoneyBadger302 Posts: 1,970 Member
    I have found that for me, a combination of daily activity plus workouts equals the best plan for me - but that's not where I started.

I went from very sedentary other and started working out 3x/week, beginning with very simple things like the elliptical for 20 min or something like the Planet Fitness 30 min circuit.

As that became easier, I started going 5x/week, adding in strength training circuits on the machines.

When I felt I was ready for more I changed gyms and worked with a trainer to help me put a plan together.

Presently I work out 5x/week for about 90 minutes (give or take a few). 15-35 minutes of cardio (2x/week more intense and longer, 3x are a bit easier/shorter) followed by 60 minutes of weight lifting each day.

I have a 6 week high intensity plan I will do once or twice a year.

Other activities that I don't count as workouts include pedal biking on the weekend (I'm NOT a serious bicyclist), horseback riding, and a martial art class.

My job, however, is a desk job where I sit at a computer all day - so is definitely NOT active at all.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Right now?

0 days a week "working out" but I'm still maintaining the increased level of daily activity I've adopted (walks, stairs at the office, etc).

I tend to go in cycles when it comes to working out which means my fitness gains tend to be staggered or stepped. I'll begin an exercise routine, my fitness will increase then I'll stop and just do what I need to do to maintain that level of fitness. Then eventually I'll go on another burst and improve my fitness again.

This seems to be doing the job for me so far.
  • mojigoogool
    mojigoogool Posts: 6 Member
    I work out 6days a week and one day rest, 15-30 minutes cardio following by body weight and weight lifting, each day focusing on different mussels and 5 minutes cool down at the end. Total would be 50-60 minutes work out each day.
  • unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member
    My job requires a lot of movement and lifting so I started with that as my daily “workout” and on the weekends have been increasing the length and intensity of my walks. I was planning on starting at a gym for more serious cardio but some medical stuff last weekend has put me on light activity until I follow up with my doc & neuro. In the meantime I’m continuing going downstairs (11 flights) and walking around the neighbourhood.