Breathing exercises

Options
Looking to improve my breathing while jogging. Seems like i always feel out of breath and struggling.

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    That’s likely less about breathing and more about pace. Run slower. You should be doing most runs slowly enough that you could still carry on a conversation.

this. jogging is about moving and carrying on, not sprinting
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,968 Member
    Options
    Well, and it takes time to build endurance. Both for legs and lungs. Take it slow, take rest days and don't go too far.

Have you looked at the Couch to 5K website with the daily plan? It's a great way to ease into running without injury or major discomfort.
  • ctmoore1982
    ctmoore1982 Posts: 586 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    cmriversidecmriverside
    Well, and it takes time to build endurance. Both for legs and lungs. Take it slow, take rest days and don't go too far.

Have you looked at the Couch to 5K website with the daily plan? It's a great way to ease into running without injury or major discomfort.
    No i will check it out.

• cmriverside
    Options
    Don't worry about the quotes, they're easy to mess up. :)

I think you'll like Couch to 5K.
  • ctmoore1982
    Options
    ya. how do you get them to post properly?
  • cmriverside
    Options

When you click Quote, just make sure you start typing at the very bottom of the quoted text. I think you accidentally deleted the first part of the quote, too.

Click "Quote" then type at the very bottom.
  • ctmoore1982
    Options

When you click Quote, just make sure you start typing at the very bottom of the quoted text. I think you accidentally deleted the first part of the quote, too.

Click "Quote" then type at the very bottom.

ok let's see if this works...
  • ctmoore1982
    Options
    cool
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    C25k is an amazing program. There are apps and podcasts available for the program. I downloaded the podcasts in February this year. I wasn’t able to run past a full minute at the start but following the program helped me build endurance and I am now a regular runner. Definitely run slower. It will help a lot with breathing. Once you build up the endurance the breathing gets a lot easier. I also have asthma. I had to use my inhaler the first couple of weeks but as I became stronger at my running I no longer needed it before training.
  • cbihatt
    cbihatt Posts: 319 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    In addition to keeping a slow pace, I like to moderate my breathing so that is a pattern. It helps me get through the tough moments when I want to stop even though I know I can continue. So, I breathe in on left foot strike, breathe out on third or fourth left foot strike after breathing in. After a while of practicing, it becomes less of a thought and more of a natural breathing pattern and it really does help me feel more in control. I got this technique from an article in a running magazine a few years ago.

ETA: I also find that emphasizing the exhale helps to minimize that need to gasp on the inhale. I don’t usually need to rely on this until the very end of my run, when I know I am almost done. LOL.