i'm not finding it harder as i get older...

Options
zebasschick
zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
edited August 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
i see a lot of threads - and not just here - talking about how much harder it is to get fit or lose weight as people get older. i'm surprised to tell you that i haven't found that to be the case. i'm 62, and i started over 28 days ago with 3 goals in mind.

1. get healthy and feel better.
2. lose weight.
3. get stronger.

so far, i've lost 6 pounds, and i'm getting stronger. because i'm starting over from sedentary lifestyle, i'm able to put a little muscle on quick, and i wasn't expecting it. i'm a little stronger, and it shows when i get up out off a chair or couch. i'm stoked!

what's harder for me is working around injuries, but most of these aren't new injuries - they're just injuries i am not expected to come all the way back from. but i'm finding ways to work around them, and that's pretty exciting because after feeling hopeless about them, it turns out there are options. i love having more options!

i've been walking, working out, and i just realized that chair dancing - if it gets and keeps your heart rate up there - is a great aerobic exercise that doesn't have to involve the knees or ankles at all. how cool is that?

i'm losing fat and gaining strength at the same speed i would have when i lost weight in my early twenties. am i lucky or gifted? i doubt it, but maybe. i suspect that most of us can cut calories and reach our goals with the same speed that doing the same calorie cutting and exercise would have worked when we were younger. if society didn't tell us older people naturally weigh more and can't get as strong.

but hey, what do i know? :D

Replies

• Phirrgus
    Phirrgus Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I do think age obviously plays a role, but I also believe most of those "You can't do it " type articles are bunk/sales pitch material.

I'm 60 and feeling great. So congratz on the weight loss, and the muscle gain, and the awesome attitude :) Keep on dancing!
  • hixa30
    hixa30 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Something that I discovered recently, you probably know that fat cells release leptin, a hormone which travels to the brain and suppresses appetite. Unfortunately the leptin receptors in the brain lose effectiveness as people get older. There is a medicine which is used to treat this problem but it's rather expensive.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    hixa30 wrote: »
    Something that I discovered recently, you probably know that fat cells release leptin, a hormone which travels to the brain and suppresses appetite. Unfortunately the leptin receptors in the brain lose effectiveness as people get older. There is a medicine which is used to treat this problem but it's rather expensive.

I was leptin resistant until recently. My endocrinologist had me take injections for years but I stopped because they didn't work.

For some reason, recently my leptin kicked in. I finally know what being satiated means.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options

does that mean that some people eat because they feel actually hungry when they wouldn't ordinarily?

i never ate because i was hungry - i either ate because i love the tastes of what i was eating or from stress. and when i was bodybuilding or losing weight, i ate on a schedule. hunger rarely came into it.
  • LyndaBSS
    Options

does that mean that some people eat because they feel actually hungry when they wouldn't ordinarily?

i never ate because i was hungry - i either ate because i love the tastes of what i was eating or from stress. and when i was bodybuilding or losing weight, i ate on a schedule. hunger rarely came into it.

For me, I was always hungry, even right after a meal. It was ridiculous. I could and did literally eat an entire pizza in one sitting by myself. Only common sense kept me from eating more after that.

It's great to no longer be a member of the clean pizza box club.
  • LyndaBSS
    Options
    @lgfrie

I'll be your friend. We can share a pizza. 😘
  • lgfrie
    lgfrie Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    ^ I'm in.