Beginner runner with a problem seeking advice from e perienced runners

Options
2»

Replies

• mgodniak2106
    mgodniak2106 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    You said you started C25K on June 23rd and you are now already running twice that distance. That is an 8-9 week training program though. Did you take any rest days at all? The program is designed to help you build your runs at a healthy pace gradually. Did you run at all before starting? It sounds like too much too soon and over training.

Hi! Thank you for your reply. I finished using the app only a little bit faster maybe like mid way through week 8 but only because I was running 5k by then and the app was really distracting. My running wasn't very regular due to work. I work long hours so Im not able to fit running in those days do I would run everyday for maybe 2-3 days and then have a 3 to 4 days if no running. So I can't say that 8 was heavily overdoing it and really, I was feeling fine until recently. Now I have also discovered that these stomach problems are more general exercise related than just specifically to running. I don't know what is going on 🤷‍♀️
  • rcarter91
    rcarter91 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like it may be worth a trip to the doctor who can advise further.
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    SCoil123 wrote: »
    You said you started C25K on June 23rd and you are now already running twice that distance. That is an 8-9 week training program though. Did you take any rest days at all? The program is designed to help you build your runs at a healthy pace gradually. Did you run at all before starting? It sounds like too much too soon and over training.

Hi! Thank you for your reply. I finished using the app only a little bit faster maybe like mid way through week 8 but only because I was running 5k by then and the app was really distracting. My running wasn't very regular due to work. I work long hours so Im not able to fit running in those days do I would run everyday for maybe 2-3 days and then have a 3 to 4 days if no running. So I can't say that 8 was heavily overdoing it and really, I was feeling fine until recently. Now I have also discovered that these stomach problems are more general exercise related than just specifically to running. I don't know what is going on 🤷‍♀️

So C25K would have had you at an easy steady 5k run last week if the program had been followed, starting June 23rd. To be running double that now already still looks like too much too soon. I personally would be concerned about shin splints and soft tissue inflammation increasing that quickly. I run 2-3 days a week and started 2yr a go with C25K. I usually run 3-4 miles unless I am training for an event still now but I know plenty of others (my husband for one) who can easily do further who have also been running for awhile.

C25K is a 8-9wk program running 3-4 days a week (recommenced 9 weeks running 3 days on alternating days but I did it in 8 running both days every weekend). It does not sound like you followed this program from what you’ve posted, which is fine since no program is right for everyone.

There are reasons why these programs are designed to build run distance and speed gradually. It helps your body adjust to the activity and avoid injury. You haven’t given your body adequate time and training to build up to what you are currently doing.