My fitbit one died

Options
glassyo
glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
(Sorry, I have to.)

It's passed on! This fitbit is no more! It has ceased to be! 'It's expired and gone to meet its maker! 'It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! Its metabolic processes are now history! It's off the twig! It's kicked the bucket, it's shuffled off its mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-FITBIT!!

So I'm looking for a replacement.

They've discontinued it and people on ebay are asking a little too much for them. I have back up fitbits but they're wrist based and grossly over estimate exercise calories. Even when I tried the Zip, it grossly over estimated exercise calories.

I only really walk for exercise.

What else are people using? I'd prefer something I could clip inside my clothes and gives me tdee and hopefully can keep a record of actual workout length.

Replies

• kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Fitbit sells a clip for the Fitbit Inspire so you can clip it rather than wear it on your wrist, and I'm sure by now there are knock-off clips on Amazon :smile:

I have no idea how accurate you would find it, I've worn the Flex and now the Alta on my wrist and always found them to be accurate as far as I can tell, but I know others haven't had as much luck!
  • glassyo
    Options
    I thought about the Inspire but I keep thinking how it would be any different if the cheapest of the cheap Zip had the same problem as the fancier models.
  • RetiredAndLovingIt
    RetiredAndLovingIt Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I have a Charge HR & don't think it is much different for accuracy than my One was. It is crazy how expensive the Ones are on E-bay now. Had to check it out after I put hubby's thru the wash. :(
  • duskyjewel
    duskyjewel Posts: 286 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I've got a Charge 2 that is still going strong after more than 2 years of constant wear. My husband and one of my daughters both wear Charge 2's as well and we are all pretty satisfied with them. If you can find someone selling the pebble only they are pretty affordable and you can get great bands cheap on Amazon.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    glassyo wrote: »
    (Sorry, I have to.)

It's passed on! This fitbit is no more! It has ceased to be! 'It's expired and gone to meet its maker! 'It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! Its metabolic processes are now history! It's off the twig! It's kicked the bucket, it's shuffled off its mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the bleedin' choir invisible!! THIS IS AN EX-FITBIT!!.

The spark of its life is smothered in shite.

Its spirit is gone but the stench remains.

🙏
  • glassyo
    Options
    Does the flex need to learn you because my other wrist based ones flunked out. :)
  • Bootzey
    Bootzey Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    My condolences.

Get another Fitbit since you already own the app. Why have to buy another?
  • kimny72
    Options
    The Flex has actually been discontinued too I believe. The last time I was on their website, it looks like they discontinued all the old streamlined ones - One, Flex, and Alta - and replaced them all with the Inspire.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    I had this same issue some time ago. My One died and I wanted a clip-on one and no-one makes them anymore and it was horrid and I ended up biting the bullet and getting a Charge 3.

While I was frantically Googling around I recall there was a Garmin version you could take out of the band and stick in a clip thingy to attach to your clothes. It was expensive though. I can't remember what it was called sorry.

I'm not too upset with my Charge 3. It does some stupid things like it thinks i'm riding a bike when i'm driving my manual transmission Jeep, but other than that I think it's relatively accurate-ish.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    i loved my one. i replaced it with a zip, but it's disappeared.

so i recently bought a used alta and a third-party clip from amazon that is made for the alta, and i'm pretty happy with it overall. i bought it from an ebay seller with like a zillion positive feedbacks, and it worked out well.

there are lots of flexes for sale on ebay, both new old stock and used.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    My One has been in Fitbit heaven for quite sometime. I bought a used Garmin VA3 but not for awhile.
  • glassyo
    Options
    The vivoactive is too rich for my blood right now but the vivofit looks promising.

I'm even looking into an omron pedometer but it doesn't do tdee.
  • deckerp
    deckerp Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    I've had my Fitbit One since May 2014 according to some old emails I found. Still going strong. I got my wife a Flex 2. That has been disappointing from a battery life perspective. So far this year I've recharged my five year old One 16 times. Hers lasts about three days it seems. That would be about 80 times this year.

I agree, the Fitbit Ones' on eBay are priced way too high. Seems to me Fitbit should re-release a One "Classic" or something and they could sell a bunch.

Good luck.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    "I only really walk for exercise." Don't you have an app for your phone to count steps? Since you walk for your exercise, seems you just need to count your steps,
  • glassyo
    Options
    pondee629 wrote: »
    "I only really walk for exercise." Don't you have an app for your phone to count steps? Since you walk for your exercise, seems you just need to count your steps,

I don't care about steps. Just calories. And I didn't even get a real phone until recently. AND I have no desire to carry a phone on my 3 hour walks (I know. I know.)

Plus I just miss that little bugger all clipped to my unmentionables. :)
  • kimny72
    Options

I don't care about steps. Just calories. And I didn't even get a real phone until recently. AND I have no desire to carry a phone on my 3 hour walks (I know. I know.)

You could clip your phone to your unmentionables :lol:

I was always a watch wearer, and once cell phones became a thing and watches fell out of fashion, I felt like a dinosaur still wearing one but naked without one. So luckily the wrist trackers are right up my alley. I know so many people who don't like them though, it's weird that the clippable trackers are so limited!
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options

I got an arm band from Amazon, caries my phone just fine, keeps track of steps (for calorie count), listen to tunes and have a phone just in case. To each his/her own. Go on Amazon and look for small step counter. Steps are calories. I liked the Python reference.
  • glassyo
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

You could clip your phone to your unmentionables :lol:

I was always a watch wearer, and once cell phones became a thing and watches fell out of fashion, I felt like a dinosaur still wearing one but naked without one. So luckily the wrist trackers are right up my alley. I know so many people who don't like them though, it's weird that the clippable trackers are so limited!

I feel naked without a watch too! I'd be more open to trying a different wrist tracker if they were easier to see the display in daylight and that pesky over estimated calories thing.
  • glassyo
    Options

I got an arm band from Amazon, caries my phone just fine, keeps track of steps (for calorie count), listen to tunes and have a phone just in case. To each his/her own. Go on Amazon and look for small step counter. Steps are calories. I liked the Python reference.

Thought about the arm band for about 2 seconds. I have enough weird tan lines. :)