Week two...really missing the comfort food.

Ok, who can relate? Food has always been more than just a way to refuel. In fact at times it’s been a stress reliever...a friend to celebrate with... a comfort when lonely...and a reward for a job well done. Week two and I’m already missing it. I’m pretty sure that there are all kinds of things I can do to replace the role food has played in my life, but I’m currently at a loss. Any ideas or suggestions?

Replies

• concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I have a whole arsenal of tools in my pocket for these situations now.

-Posting here. I can't type and shovel food in at the same time. I used to be able to snack and type, but being here keeps me on track.

-I am learning a language on duolingo. Helps me concentrate on not food/ distracts me from stress

-Walking, zumba, yoga, hula hooping, biking, swimming - it all takes time away from being lonely or bored. Plus, it makes up for any calories that I do go over...

-Rewards may be harder. I just don't really have a reward system, unless it is seeing my husband's goofy smile when I do a dance fresh off the scale. I did recently put in an order for a subscription box. It is based around my outdoor hobbies and should help me keep up with them.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 910 Member
    i eat cheese crunchies, pizza, ice cream (okay, low fat sugar free, but that's what i ate before), chocolate, tortilla chips and the list goes on. i incorporate them in my meals. it's true that i no longer eat half of a half gallon of ice cream at a sitting, but i can have a serving without a problem. my food scale is my friend!
  • hixa30
    hixa30 Posts: 274 Member
    Changing the habits of a lifetime, or a decade are hard. I struggle with this too. You probably have a camera, either stand alone, or on your phone. You have a smartphone and a billion apps that can distract you. Podcasts, games, quizzes. You can identify galaxies for a citizen science project. Pick something you like or find interesting, and learn to identify types. I have an interest in aviation, I can identify 30-50 aircraft types. Maybe do the same for birds, trees, plants, motorcycles, fashion items.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    learn portion control and tweak some of the recipes and you can still eat those comfort foods within reason, staying within your calorie deficit.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    In order to make your way of eating a sustainable lifestyle, it should include your favorite foods. You just learn to eat them within the confines of your calorie allotment.
  • TheChristianSimone
    TheChristianSimone Posts: 156 Member
    Figuring what you need comfort from will snatch those feelings right up. And if it’s something you like a serving shouldn’t kill you.
  • anthonysdunn
    anthonysdunn Posts: 436 Member
    I just started my journey, so I can’t really tell you what works , but right now the only difference in my intake is the amount of food I eat. I’m slowly adding in healthier options, but not eliminating everything I enjoy.

• montyeva1114
    montyeva1114 Posts: 78 Member
    That sounds like a great start!
  • unicorngems
    unicorngems Posts: 56 Member
    Nice bowl of your favorite flavor soup...work it into your calories...yummm
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Food is comforting, enjoyable, and often used to celebrate. No wonder you're having a hard time. Some people can successfully switch to "food is fuel" mentality, but I'm not one of them. I found that making friends with food was what worked for me, and like any friend, it needs boundaries. For me, it's possible to enjoy food without going over calories, I just need to eat more of the lower calorie foods I enjoy (yes, lower calorie foods can be delicious and comforting), and re-arrange my calories for higher calorie foods I enjoy if I really want it. I need to say no sometimes because when accommodating becomes more stressful than denying, it's no fun. I also celebrate with food, but I plan for that in advance and enjoy every second of it guilt-free.

I found that one question usually solves most issues for me: is this food worth it today? Sometimes the answer is yes, that is, I'm happier if I include it than if I don't. Sometimes the answer is no, meaning, I'm more miserable (hungry, regretful...etc) if I include it. Other times the answer is "later", because I wouldn't be happy if I include it today, but I would be happier and more satisfied with my diet in the long run if I plan for it in near future.
  • Womona
    Womona Posts: 1,596 Member
    I think it’s great that you recognize that food brings you comfort. That’s the first step in finding a way to identify what you’re really feeling, and mitigating that, instead of mindlessly reaching for food to make you feel better.

Are you lonely? Call or write a friend. Bored? Do some chores, read a book, take a walk. Angry or stressed? People, plants and animals are a great de-stressor- Pet the dog, go for a walk in nature, weed your garden etc. once you identify what you’re feeling, you’ll realize that food isn’t the soothing solution you need, and that will go a long way toward changing your “relationship” with food.

I put relationship with quotes because we don’t have a relationship with food. Food is an inanimate object.