Ladies topics..how to workout during PMS

Options
Overall I am doing pretty good,keeping my deficit and working out..When I just started with my weight loss journey i couldn't do more then 2 modified push ups but with time it changed...Now I am capable of working out around 3 hrs without even realizing time that passed as i simply enjoy it and love seeing my body getting stronger, toned and my overall fitness improving. Problems is week before my period. My PMS is making me sluggish, demotivated, my energy literary goes from 100 to 0 in a day when this happens.. I tired eating my maintenance calories in those days but it didnt help. I tired to push trough it,I couldn't. And I really hate falling out my routine over and over,every month the same..Progress amazingly, doing cardio,strength and HIIT workouts almost every day and then just digress when my PMS hits..making super long breaks or not finish workout at all..its not that I have cramps or stm, i just cant force myself to move as I usually do and all i want to do is sleep 24/7..when my period starts my energy level returns back to normal but my overall fitness and ability digress in this week ( my job keeps me tied to chair for over 13 hrs so week of not working out is huge for me). Do you have any advice how to avoid this of happening over and over , any supplements or food I should take? Sorry for essay but I really need help

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I find exercise actually helps me at TOM, it keeps down the cramping and helps lift my mood.
    Maybe its the type of exercise that's not the right choice for you during that time? you could dial it back and try something more low impact.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Maybe something less intense? Yoga or swimming
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues and I either make the same workouts less intense or I do yoga/Pilates. That way you don’t get the stop start issues with exercise and you still get your body moving.
  • neyagoal
    neyagoal Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I find exercise actually helps me at TOM, it keeps down the cramping and helps lift my mood.
    Maybe its the type of exercise that's not the right choice for you during that time? you could dial it back and try something more low impact.

Thanks a lot for your response.. Actually, yes for me too, it helps during TOM itself but week before my period comes is a issue.. I will try to find stm low impact, but do u have any sort of recommendation? From the start I was pushing myself for doing high impact and intensity workouts so when it comes to low impact I really don't know where to start.. Already doing my 10 000 steps a day too
  • neyagoal
    Options

Thanks a lot for replying.. Swimming where I live s not a possibility at the moment, so by any chance do you have some bigginer free plan for yoga to recommend
  • neyagoal
    Options
    xxzenabxx wrote: »
    I have the same issues and I either make the same workouts less intense or I do yoga/Pilates. That way you don’t get the stop start issues with exercise and you still get your body moving.

Thanks a lot for reaching out, it seems its my only option to slow down although that option I find really scary.. Do you have some special pilates workout YouTube video to recommend
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    neyagoal wrote: »

Thanks a lot for replying.. Swimming where I live s not a possibility at the moment, so by any chance do you have some bigginer free plan for yoga to recommend

There is lots of yoga on you tube. Try yoga with Adrienne, for example.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    for youtube try Jessica Smith TV - she does lots of workouts but among them pilates and yoga.
    There was another great Pilates workout I used to do but the girls name escapes me out.
    Also you could try Blogilates - Cassey is a great teacher plus her upbeat personality is refreshing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,897 Member
    Options

I learned yoga from a teacher, and am a teacher myself, and believe that is the best way to learn. You can see if there are any free classes in your community. Sometimes libraries or community centers will offer them.

Your library might also have beginner yoga DVDs.

You could also look for "Rodney Yee beginner yoga" on youtube - he's a great teacher.

While beginner yoga has other benefits, it won't burn many calories, though, if that is your goal.

Are you able to do any sort of gardening project? I'm near Boston and put in a few cool annual vegetables last week, and am thinking about fall flowers.

The last few years I've had big fall projects to keep me busy - last year we dug up a strip of grass alongside the driveway and put in ornamental grasses, and also put in a new 12 x 2 raised bed for veggies, and the year before I made a circle garden with shade perennials under a crab apple tree.

I'm out of space this year and will probably do trail maintenance in the woods behind my house.

If I lived in a city, I would get involved in an urban community gardening project.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options

Thanks a lot for reaching out, it seems its my only option to slow down although that option I find really scary.. Do you have some special pilates workout YouTube video to recommend

I personally do Boho Beautiful’s Pilates and yoga videos on YouTube. They help me a lot. Also meditation helps me with pms symptoms as well as magnesium. I have dark chocolate which is high in magnesium. You can also take a magnesium supplement.
  • neyagoal
    Options

I personally do Boho Beautiful’s Pilates and yoga videos on YouTube. They help me a lot. Also meditation helps me with pms symptoms as well as magnesium. I have dark chocolate which is high in magnesium. You can also take a magnesium supplement.

Oh that sound really interesting.. I will try with dark chocolate and magnesium as well as checking Boho pilates.. Thanks for sharing ur ideas
  • neyagoal
    Options
    for youtube try Jessica Smith TV - she does lots of workouts but among them pilates and yoga.
    There was another great Pilates workout I used to do but the girls name escapes me out.
    Also you could try Blogilates - Cassey is a great teacher plus her upbeat personality is refreshing.

Thanks a lot, I will check it out
  • neyagoal
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I learned yoga from a teacher, and am a teacher myself, and believe that is the best way to learn. You can see if there are any free classes in your community. Sometimes libraries or community centers will offer them.

Your library might also have beginner yoga DVDs.

You could also look for "Rodney Yee beginner yoga" on youtube - he's a great teacher.

While beginner yoga has other benefits, it won't burn many calories, though, if that is your goal.

Are you able to do any sort of gardening project? I'm near Boston and put in a few cool annual vegetables last week, and am thinking about fall flowers.

The last few years I've had big fall projects to keep me busy - last year we dug up a strip of grass alongside the driveway and put in ornamental grasses, and also put in a new 12 x 2 raised bed for veggies, and the year before I made a circle garden with shade perennials under a crab apple tree.

I'm out of space this year and will probably do trail maintenance in the woods behind my house.

If I lived in a city, I would get involved in an urban community gardening project.

Oh I love working out in garden but being expat that doesn't speak Arabic, I am guessing even if I decide to swipe dust on pyramids, someone will ask me to pay a lot of money for it.. But ur gardening sounds so awesome, I wish u a lot of luck with it.. I will try videos recommended by other ladies first as I still want to keep burning calories but for better understanding of yoga I will definitely watch videos u recommended.. Thanks a lot
  • TheChristianSimone
    TheChristianSimone Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    This is a funny topic as I just watched a YouTube video about this over the weekend because I am really want to max out my weight loss. That pms time for some women not all before the mob comes out lol suffer a energy and strength digression so it’s better to deload your workouts esp strength training and then once your cycle hits you can start to load back up. The video also stated based on science studies that during your cycle and the week after are the best weeks to make those fitness gains. As I lay with my heating pad I definitely feel like a beast during my cycle but last week was a drag out fight and luckily I don’t want to eat naughty things bc I would have eaten a dozen donuts gleefully
  • neyagoal
    Options
    My thought is that if you are regularly doing three-hour workouts, a couple of rest days a month might not be a bad idea.

I am firm believer that u can't change if u don't give all ur best in every moment.. I love and cherish my body but if I want it to change I need to put stress on it in order to adapt and overcome initial weakness so I workout 3 days then take day off.. Any other way for me s slacking off and keeping me away from my goal longer then needed.. It may works for the most of ppl but for me, it would just make me more miserable and make it harder to get back on bandwagon
  • neyagoal
    Options
    This is a funny topic as I just watched a YouTube video about this over the weekend because I am really want to max out my weight loss. That pms time for some women not all before the mob comes out lol suffer a energy and strength digression so it’s better to deload your workouts esp strength training and then once your cycle hits you can start to load back up. The video also stated based on science studies that during your cycle and the week after are the best weeks to make those fitness gains. As I lay with my heating pad I definitely feel like a beast during my cycle but last week was a drag out fight and luckily I don’t want to eat naughty things bc I would have eaten a dozen donuts gleefully

Thank you so much for sharing this, and this do have sense as I noticed that week after period s time I experience biggest whoosh in my weight ( week before period - week after period =3 weeks and lost 3 kg).. At the moment, I am actually slowing down, doing 40-60 min of pilates( thanks to girls that give me this suggestion) and don't feel like I'm going too easy on myself as there s some brutal one.. As it actually changed my routine I am having fun with it, just on different way then my usual..
  • ExistingFish
    ExistingFish Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I'd just consider a built-in deload week. Maybe your body is trying to tell you something.

Do you really work out 3 hours at a time, 3 days in a row, then only one day rest? That is...excessive? Maybe limit yourself to 1.5 quality hours if you are going 3 days then rest. You might have less built-up fatigue.