What’s the best abs exercises?

2»

Replies

• pdmatthews
    pdmatthews Posts: 37 Member
    As others have said overhead press, dead’s, squats and farmers walks. I like a standing cable crunch as well and a crunch press
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    thanos5 wrote: »
    how does one do progressive overload with ab exercises? off to the googles.

Just like any lift or cardio. Intelligently add more of it.

For running adding about 10% of your distance of your weekly total is pretty norm.

For abd it would depend on how you stimulate them AND your preferred method of progressive overload within your program as there are endless ways to progressively overload.

If you use a timer on a ab wheel, you could try to add a couple more reps or time.

If you were doing v-holds for sets, you could add a additional set.

There are a ridiculous amount of ways.
  • thanos5
    thanos5 Posts: 513 Member
    sorry, i'm a newb.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Abs rollouts got me the most bang for my buck. I was starting with a diastasis recti (an muscle separation) caused by obesity, and a recent abdominal surgery. No muscle tone to speak of. Abs rollouts fixed the diastasis recti and now I have hard solid abs - still not low enough body fat to be visible but at least they are under there!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    edited September 2019
  • ChrisCatMama
    ChrisCatMama Posts: 1,038 Member
    Kneeling on the floor while doing overhead presses (found that in a men’s health magazine)
    Crunches and cross crunches on an exercise ball (easier on the back)
    Straight leg crunches
    Side to side chops with a weighted ball
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 1,992 Member
    the best burn for me is hanging leg raises. at this point in my journey , i am just grateful to have shrunk my gut! At 54, If I get defined abs, great...if I don't , who cares!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    Carlos_421 wrote: »

So much this.

While compound lifts should be a focus in the workout, they are not optimal when it comes to ab recruitment. So if one wants to develop their ab/core muscles, they should do direct ab exercise. This would be no different than if someone wanted to develop their arms. Of course you need to have low enough body fat if you want to make abs visible.
  • hrvojecavar25
    hrvojecavar25 Posts: 3 Member
    I do planks 4 sets of 1 minute, leg raises, dead bug i think its called, rolling wheel, bycicle crunch,mountin climber, boxer crunch and icing on the cake 3 x 15 holding a 5 kg plate over my head and doing a normal crunch, best of luck
  • MidlifeCrisisFitness
    MidlifeCrisisFitness Posts: 1,106 Member
    exercise ball pull overs
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,977 Member
    Heavy squats and deadlifts.