Struggling...again.

I know this worked for me before but I am struggling to commit to it again . I have new health issues that I'm trying to get my head around. Was told to start small., so small changes so far include swapping out some foods and I've started some stretches and walking but... those stupid scales! Feeling depressed this morning.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited August 2019
    Welcome back to the community! <3

If you haven't already, read the stickies at the top of the getting started forum. Very informative and helpful.

Are you weighing your foods?

Age, height, starting weight, calorie allotment?

Good luck with your journey!
  • magairlin
    magairlin Posts: 93 Member
    Everyone struggles so it's good to be part of this community so that you are aware that you are not alone. It's so worth it though. Best of luck.
  • Sunshine6909
    Sunshine6909 Posts: 108 Member
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    Welcome back to the community! <3

Are you weighing your foods?

Age, height, starting weight, calorie allotment?

Good luck with your journey!

Not weighing yet but know I must. 47 female. 90kg (198pd) ok seeing that in pounds is disturbing!!!! Last time I started at a similar weight & was allocated a higher amount of cals & as I lost weight it lowered to 1200 kj. Now I've entered my current weight but the 1200 cal is the same... does that sound right?
  • healingnurtrer
    healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
    I started again recently too. Sent request :)
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    To get 1200 cals you have entered a high rate of loss per week.

Set yourself to 1lbs a week. It may take longer to lose the weight, but it will make life easier.

Underfuelling your body can lead to general lethargy, this lowers the calories you burn.

Even though you can eat 1200, it doesn’t mean you should.

Cheers, h.
  • Sunshine6909

Set yourself to 1lbs a week. It may take longer to lose the weight, but it will make life easier. .

Ok... I've changed it but it only added 10 calories.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Then try setting it to 0.5lbs per week.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member

Set yourself to 1lbs a week. It may take longer to lose the weight, but it will make life easier. .

That is so sad. Did you put yourself as ‘sedentary’/‘not very active’?

That is generally suitable for folk who barely move,~3500 steps or less a day.

If you truly aren’t that inactive, up your activity level to a reasonable one. Don’t forget to eat your exercise cals back too.

Sorry it’s still so low.

Cheers, h.
  • Sunshine6909

That is so sad. Did you put yourself as ‘sedentary’/‘not very active’?

Oh well, was worth a try. It's set at not very active. I did check and that seems the most suitable. I'll keep making food tweaks until I get it right. I'm guessing if I try and drop it too quick it'll be too hard and I'll give up. 😊
  • LeeH31
    LeeH31 Posts: 312 Member
    Are you really short? Your base metabolic rate goes by height, too. You can always modify your own calorie goals to something more doable. I tracked what I was actually eating for 3 days (argh!) Then I looked up what I would be eating if I was at goal weight. I WAS averaging around 3500+cal/day. At 165 lb (my goal) I should eat 1400-1600 calories to maintain with moderate activity. I am a sedentary but starting to exercise so my current calorie goal is 1600. I am 60 years old, and 5 feet 5 inches. Also, you can adjust your macros to fit your way of eating. Mine are adjusted to lower carb and I plan to adjust to low carb as I lose.

Hope this is helpful and that you're successful in finding the right solution for you!
  • Sunshine6909
    LeeH31 thank you. Yes I am short... just shy of 5 ft 🤗
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    You are doing exactly what you need to! Congrats. Take your time. I'm old and fairly sedentary so I only get 1350 - 1400 for maintenance! What I do is try to move more to get extra calories. If I walk a couple hours I get another couple hundred or so. My biggest regret is that I didn't lift weights while I was losing to maintain muscle mass so you might think about slowly adding some weight bearing exercise so you don't end up like me. Be sure you get enough protein as well to preserve the muscle you have.
  • WendyBelizabeth
    WendyBelizabeth Posts: 4 Member
    Every little change is a step in the right direction 🤗
  • Nikkilohrey
    Nikkilohrey Posts: 1 Member
    Maybe look around and see if there are any places you can get a body scan to determine your BMR? That helped me a lot, brought my calorie allotment a littler higher since it takes into account your muscle mass too. I still felt like my calories low, since I like to eat, BUT.....if I eat clean, whole foods, if I'm being honest with myself, I can eat so much more!!! That being said I try to eat mostly well, but allow myself to go out to dinner, etc. occasionally, and try to make better choices when I do. I have been averaging about 1 pound per week, which is slow, but I am not starving or deprvied! Good luck, it's such a journey, mostly mental, my motivation waivers too!
  • Sunshine6909
    Thank you so much everyone for your insight & encouragement. It has really helped to get me going. Just got back from a good walk.. looking quite red faced now. Looking forward to some yummy lunch & I already know whats for dinner. 😃😃🤗
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Ok... I have tracked my first day and am not hungry. The goal for tomorrow... track for a second day! 😉

You're off to a great start. Keep up the good work! 👍
  • Sunshine6909
    Thanks Lynda... I think I'm on day 4 of tracking. Going ok but it's Saturday in my part of the world., weekends are usually where I muck up. Tonight we are eating dinner with my inlaws so just doing my best for tracking.
  • suzesvelte
    suzesvelte Posts: 134 Member
    edited August 2019
    Thanks Lynda... I think I'm on day 4 of tracking. Going ok but it's Saturday in my part of the world., weekends are usually where I muck up. Tonight we are eating dinner with my inlaws so just doing my best for tracking.

Eating out is tricky, esp for me with family, cos that's usually setting off some emotional eating shizz too!
    I have been PLANNING for eating out recently. Thinking of strategies to portion control, especially on the carb-heavy elements. Having a plan that you try to stick to might help when faced with any decision making part of the dinner, if it arrives on the table in bowls. At least you are in control of the serving spoon!

If everything arrives plated you can either try telling the "chef" not to give you any "xyz" Once you've said it, it's said. If they ARGUE with you - that's one place where the emotional shizz kicks in. You need to be quitely assertive. It won't break their heart if you don't eat they potato dish or creamy desert! You dont need to justify yourself, just say "Thanks but I really dont want to eat xyz". People try to force you to make exceptions. It's a slippery slope cos if you let other ppl dictate your "exceptions" you'll find there are some every week and you can really undermine your progress that way. Put your own health before any sense of "politeness" to eat what others have made. You'll be eating, you can be complimentray, but also in control.

Good Luck