Starting to use the c25k app

Options
Couch 2 5K app
I started using this app to help me build some endurance. Plus, I've always wanted to be someone that runs bcuz I liked it. I know that running is a great way to lose weight also. I wanted to complete this program to c if I really liked it or not. But I'm having the hardest time with it. I don't want to rush myself into moving on to the next session when the one prior feels really difficult. It says that it's for ppl who have never ran before and it will get them to a point where they can run a 5k withing a couple months. I think it's gonna take me three times longer.

Has it been difficult for anyone else? Is there anyone currently starting this?

Replies

• hdtracy
    hdtracy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    There's a whole separate group you can join up with for those of us currently struggling through it:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/47-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k-

In my opinion, there's 3 basic things to remember when doing C25K as a true beginner:

1. Go Sloooow. Like, even if you could walk faster than you jog, that's perfect. Do that. If you're huffing and puffing you're going too fast.
    2. Repeat days/weeks as needed. Most of us do it, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. But as a rule of thumb, as long as you're completing the run (no matter how difficult it was), you've accomplished what you set out to do and can try to move on to the next workout if you feel comfortable.
    3. The usual advice for stretching/having quality shoes/etc. also applies :)
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    I am going to start Week 8 day 1 today. I used to use the Zen Labs C25K app & switched to the ZombiesRun! C25k trainer. It’s the same concept just much more entertaining.

When I first started I could barely run the 60seconds & felt like I was dying, but every run & every week I felt better & stronger. I have not yet had to repeat a week. I will admit that every week just before I start a new one I think OMG I can’t do this I should repeat. BUT I know that is just myself doubting my abilities. I read once on one of the forums to just try the new week & if you absolutely can’t do it then repeat & this is what I tell myself each week, “Just try it” & every week I surprise myself & can do it.

I love running now, I miss it when I don’t run & wish every workout could be a run. I am not fast by any means, but I get it done. My point in saying this is that if you can’t breathe, can’t hold a conversation, then you are going too fast. Slow it down & if it’s possible for you to run slower then run even slower. You will be amazed @ how far you can run when you get your speed under control. This isn’t a race, it doesn’t matter how long it takes you to run. Speed will come later. One more thing & I can’t stress this enough, invest in good running shoes. Don’t skimp. This is crucial in helping prevent injury to your feet, knees, etc.

Stick with it & you will amaze yourself @ what you can do.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    I am just now on week 7, I started the middle of May. It hasn't been easy for me AT ALL.

When I get to a point where I feel like going farther will cause me to either give up or hurt myself I repeat the week. I think I repeated week 4 for a month! Some of it was mental, some of it was physical. There's nothing worse than standing there huffing and puffing trying to catch your breath and not puke!

The thing that has helped me the most is using a heart rate monitor (WITH a chest strap, don't even realize I have it on.) I know during the first 15 minutes my HR is going to climb (my max is 187) and if I am running at a speed I can sustain for any given amount of time over that I need to go slow enough to keep my HR around 145-155. Anything over that I get gassed. Using this I was able to sustain a 30 minute run today.

My last trick has been when I get to the running portion telling myself "I can do anything for XX minutes!"

This may all sound silly but I ran a 35 minute 5K today doing these little things! Keep plugging along, make sure you have proper shoes and it will become fun! I recently injured myself playing softball and had to rest a week. I was miserable because I couldn't run!
  • hdtracy
    hdtracy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am going to start Week 8 day 1 today. I used to use the Zen Labs C25K app & switched to the ZombiesRun! C25k trainer. It’s the same concept just much more entertaining.

I like the look of this app, and downloaded it a while back - but did you just jump in at Week 7/8 to the story line? I'd considered switching to the Zombies, Run 5K Trainer app, but didn't want to have to sit through catching up on all the back story, lol.
  • Melissa999999
    Melissa999999 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I was suppose to do week 4 day 1 today. Stopped when j couldn't get through the first running session because I was tryin to go to fast. Trying again either tonight ir tomorrow morning. It's been hard to do - never ran before in my life(walked the mile in school) - but I push myself each time. If I don't do the workout as said, I then repeat the day until I can. I have also found it helps to have someone with you to encourage you on when you want to quit.
  • asp415
    asp415 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options

I like the look of this app, and downloaded it a while back - but did you just jump in at Week 7/8 to the story line? I'd considered switching to the Zombies, Run 5K Trainer app, but didn't want to have to sit through catching up on all the back story, lol.

I had injured myself due to improper shoes while doing the Zen Labs one @ week 3 & had to take a few weeks off of running & had to start all over again, but couldn't stand doing the Zen Labs one again as it felt like I was going back & it was kind of boring so I started the zombies run one back to day 1. It was worth it though as it has you do things sometimes, like skipping, knee lifts, squats, etc. to help get your legs stronger & be a better runner.