MyFitnessPal and calorie goals

Options
ironsue
ironsue Posts: 17 Member
Anyone else having difficulty meeting their calorie goal while eating plant based foods?

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    I'm pescatarian and have to focus on not going over my 1310 calorie allotment.
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I began a round of Whole30 (8/17/19) and just for my info counted my calories (like I have forever). A few days at first I did not log over 1000 calories in a day and let me tell you I felt it! My leg ached, no energy and a bit dizzy at times. Lesson Learned! Planning is the key :)
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I had some trouble over a period of time.
    Doubled the legumes and added things like Avocados, nuts, seeds and the calories jumped up quickly. Potatoes are also a good calorie pusher.
    Same thing for cutting, I just removed the Nuts and seeds./ Problem solved.

Hope this helps.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    ironsue wrote: »
    Anyone else having difficulty meeting their calorie goal while eating plant based foods?

If it's a recent change, it can take a week or two for your system to get used to the increased fiber and bulk. To get your calories up, you can add some calorie dense options like nuts, seeds, nut butters, salad dressing, cooking oil.

Also consider the very common logging errors lots of people make when starting out, you might actually be eating more cals than you think. Make sure you are using a food scale and double checking that the entries you are using in the database have the correct calories. Make sure you are using the correct entries based on how you measured the ingredient (cooked or raw). And make sure you are logging everything - beverages, condiments, cooking oils, cheat meals, late night snacks, cooking nibbles, etc.
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    I think it would depend on your goal.

In my case (pescatarian, eating fish about 1x per week), my goal is now 1220 calories before exercise. I can't eat a lot of volume at one time nor can I eat after dinner (both due to GERD), so I have to plan carefully. I often enter all of meals and exercise for the day in the morning and plan snacks accordingly. It's not exact since I am estimating a little (I correct the weights when I eat), but it certainly helps.

The only day that I have no trouble meeting my calories is the one day that we eat out. Then I am trying to stay under goal when I plan!
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

No, not when I've eaten that way, but it depends on what plant-based foods you choose. If you include foods like nuts and seeds, olives, maybe some olive oil, avocado, beans and lentils, some tofu, as well as grains and other starches, it can add up reasonably fast.

If you are trying to eat only non starchy veg and fruit or something like that, then yes, it would likely be challenging (and IMO not nutritionally balanced). Also, as others have said, it's going to be higher fiber than many ways of eating, so you might find yourself feeling extra full at first.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Just add in some coconut cream, oil or milk and watch your calories sky rocket. That and nut butters
  • LeiLaura
    LeiLaura Posts: 238 Member
    Options

Yes, I'm struggling just now. Not solely plant-based, though.
  • BW__NOT
    BW__NOT Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Generally staying under calories but every day I go over on carbs....??
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    BW__NOT wrote: »
    Generally staying under calories but every day I go over on carbs....??

Unless you have a medical reason to limit carbs, macros are really personal preference. I just make sure I'm hitting my protein goal and let the rest do what it's going to do.