Not sure where to go. Bulk or Cut? Qardio scale results

Options
Hi all

My stats: 6'2'', 185 lbs. I've been trying to slow bulk for the past few months. I've attached a latest photo of myself here as well.

I recently bought a Qardio scale. I stepped on for the first time today, and got my results (I attached an image here). It's telling me that I'm 19% BF, which I immediately think is too high to continue to bulk. However, I'd like opinions from others on here with what you think I should do. My impulse is to cut to roughly 10-12% bodyfat, but that would put me at around 165-170 lbs after the cut. Not sure what to do.

Thanks for your help!

umxup59zua0p.jpg

mutbf5vx0cqh.png

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Scale BF% results are so inaccurate that Consumer Reports won't even report on them any more.

Ultimately, what do you want to do? How fluffy are you willing to get? Bulk/cuts are tough, mentally.

I agree that if you want to bulk/cut, you should cut more first.
  • va__01
    va__01 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    @quiksylver296 yeah the bf % measurement was just an added bonus / way to roughly track where I am. Are you thinking I'm not at 19% or higher/lower? I know it's tough to tell from just one photo.

At this point, I'm focused on my long term goal: being around 180 lbs at 12% bf. I'm happy to go in either direction. I just don't want to bulk at a higher bf % if it means my nutrient partitioning will suffer. On the flip side, I feel like I do not have a lot of muscle and would love to make more strength/muscle gains. It seems like I'll never get out of this limbo.
  • wiigelec
    wiigelec Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    If you want to get out of the limbo then get as strong as you can without worrying about “abs”. At 6’2” you’ll need to be a lot more than 180# if you want to have muscle...
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    va__01 wrote: »
    @quiksylver296 yeah the bf % measurement was just an added bonus / way to roughly track where I am. Are you thinking I'm not at 19% or higher/lower? I know it's tough to tell from just one photo.

At this point, I'm focused on my long term goal: being around 180 lbs at 12% bf. I'm happy to go in either direction. I just don't want to bulk at a higher bf % if it means my nutrient partitioning will suffer. On the flip side, I feel like I do not have a lot of muscle and would love to make more strength/muscle gains. It seems like I'll never get out of this limbo.

As quiksylver said, scales are useless for BF%. I, as well as others here, are pretty good at visual estimates but I can't do much with your photo as you are leaning to one side. If you want a really good chance at a visual estimate, take 2 photos from the front and the side with decent posture relaxed and 2 of the same flexed. Same location, lighting etc. Based on the one photo, I'd guess less than 19% but beyond that I can't really tell.
  • va__01
    va__01 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    wiigelec wrote: »
    If you want to get out of the limbo then get as strong as you can without worrying about “abs”. At 6’2” you’ll need to be a lot more than 180# if you want to have muscle...

That’s kind of my point. I’m not trying to be mega jacked or bulky. I just want a decent physique at a lower body fat.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Agree with the hard to tell because of leaning, but I would guess your BF% to be closer to 15%. It all depend on the aesthetic you are going for, but if you are OK with the more slender but developed rock climber look that is fairly easy to maintain I'd say you are good.
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Have you got any advice yet that you think you may use?