Iphone vs hiking claculator

My iPhone gives me 70 calories for hiking 6 miles (some very steep, some middling and some flat.)

When I enter it into a hiking calculator, it gives me 1,000 calories burned. I know that some of the difference comes from bmr, but I have to do a hard 5 miles to get a measly 100 calories burned.

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Walking is about 50 cal per mile for a 150 lb person. Hiking would likely be a little more.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    QuietBloom wrote: »
    My iPhone gives me 70 calories for hiking 6 miles (some very steep, some middling and some flat.)

When I enter it into a hiking calculator, it gives me 1,000 calories burned. I know that some of the difference comes from bmr, but I have to do a hard 5 miles to get a measly 100 calories burned.

I'd imagine somewhere in between the two. I do not think you only burned 70, but I would be surprised if you burned 1000. I think probably within the 400-500 range is reasonable.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Thank you both for your replies. I think I will start using fitness pal to calc calories burned. I don’t know why the IPhone calc is so strange.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    I manually enter my hiking because I do hill climbs which burns loads more than flat road walking
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    I've easily burned 1,000 calories hiking 6 miles. My average calorie burn is 150 calories per mile of hiking compared to about 50 calories per mile walked on flat terrain. Where you are hiking and elevation gain really do matter though. Not to mention the weight of your pack if you carry one will add to calorie burn.

You could try the Omni hiking calculator. Personally it is very accurate for me.
  • Hannahwalksfar
    Hannahwalksfar Posts: 572 Member
    I just hiked 11km and 8 of those were hills. Mfp says I burned approx 600cal and I think that’s about right as I really pushed it up those hills
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    I’ve found the Omni hiking calorie calculator to be pretty accurate.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    I just went to check the Omni calculator out. It's really heavily influenced by what it considers the average grade. That would work so much better if you could upload GPS data. For the last hike I did, it says I burned more calories on the hardest part than on the entire hike. 🤔

Try this: 0.7 miles with 2,200 feet of gain. That's Colchuck Lake to Aasgard Pass. Now try 25 miles with 6,000 feet total gain. That includes Aasgard, but also getting to it and back to the road.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    I think I will check out that Omni hiking, thank you for the suggestions! IPhone does tracking grades, but enters them as "floors climbed". I used to have a fitbit, but it stopped talking to MyFitness Pal. After trying everything that is listed for troubleshooting, I just stopped wearing it. But it was fantastic.

Thank you all so much!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    I just went to check the Omni calculator out. It's really heavily influenced by what it considers the average grade. That would work so much better if you could upload GPS data. For the last hike I did, it says I burned more calories on the hardest part than on the entire hike. 🤔

Try this: 0.7 miles with 2,200 feet of gain. That's Colchuck Lake to Aasgard Pass. Now try 25 miles with 6,000 feet total gain. That includes Aasgard, but also getting to it and back to the road.

If I hiked 25 miles with 6000 gain (unless it was over a week-long backpack or something) I wouldn’t even be logging, I would happily be eating whatever I wanted!
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    whmscll wrote: »

If I hiked 25 miles with 6000 gain (unless it was over a week-long backpack or something) I wouldn’t even be logging, I would happily be eating whatever I wanted!

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/4009972132

My appetite has actually been down since this.