10k run - Mother and son story

samthepanda
samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
My son is 16. He has autism and learning disabilities. He's a big lad at nearly 16 stone and 5ft 9.He has never seen the point of competitive sport but he will happily walk a few miles. Earlier this year he started doing some personal training at the Cross fit gym I go to. He enjoys it and he is quite strong. A few weeks ago he agreed to run a 10k event with me to raise money for a group he goes to. I knew he could do the distance and we would probably walk it but I wasn't sure how he would be with the crowds and noise (this is a big event that runs through the city, lots of supporters). Race day dawned hot and sunny. I kept us out of the crowds as long as possible and he seemed OK. He was keen to be off so couldn't understand why we didn't move when the starting whistle went (we were near the back). Soon we were off and he started fast, too fast. We soon settled into a walk jog rhythm. He got support from some people we know along the way which he responded well too. He never once asked if we were nearly finished he just kept going. The only dodgy part was when I foolishly poured some cold water on my hand and rubbed it on my head and then did the same to him. He hated it and got really cross. I thought for a minute he was going to refuse to go on but fortunatly at that moment a spectator was handing out jelly babies which distracted him and we carried on. Soon were at the finish with family and friends to cheer us in, 1 hour 36 mins. We raised over £400for the group but the most amazing thing is a race photo that shows my boy, who finds it very hard to feel proud of himself, beaming with pride! Never underestimate what can be achieved with love, perseverance and jelly babies!

Replies

• RunsWithBees
    RunsWithBees Posts: 1,508 Member
    This is fantastic! Congrats to you both!
  • magairlin
    magairlin Posts: 93 Member
    lovely post. very uplifting. Congratualations!
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Thank you for sharing your amazing story! 💞💞
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Great story! Thank you for sharing :) And bless that person handing out jelly babies!
  • weatherking2019
    weatherking2019 Posts: 943 Member
    Congrats to you both! Great story!
    I started running with my 13YO son too! 1st 5K was couple of years ago. And we did our 1st 10K this year and he wants to do more! Never thought he would run with me 4 yrs ago when he just hated me (kicking, throwing, spiting at me...) We both came a long way! Happy running :)
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Beautiful story. Made my day. Thank you!
  • nowornever0430
    nowornever0430 Posts: 100 Member
    Congrats to you both!!!
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    What an amazing story! Congrats!
  • momefee
    momefee Posts: 66 Member
    YAY! Congrats to you both! Thanks, for sharing.
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Congratulations to you both.
    I have aspergers and running is my thing, when I'm at races I can talk to people in a way that I cant in other situations. If he does get in to the exercise and running in a big way then I can say that the majority of people involved are fabulously supportive and welcoming
    (And they dont care how much you talk about your favourite subject)
  • kilobykilo
    kilobykilo Posts: 800 Member
    Fantastic, well done to both of you:)
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Thanks all. I don't know if it will lead anywhere, if he will do more running but it was an awesome thing to be part of. So very proud of him.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!