Range of Motion , 1 hr. exercise set

At our local senior center we do sets of exercises for maintaininng ROM. We use 5 lb dumbbells and Therabands, and do many reps sitting and standing, and a 10 min. cardio at the end. Because of the multitude of reps and types of exercises it is hard to figure the CALORIE BURN during these sessions. Any ideas from you learned enthusiasts ???
Larry "willing2try"

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    I would use Calisthenics in the database.
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    At our local senior center we do sets of exercises for maintaininng ROM. We use 5 lb dumbbells and Therabands, and do many reps sitting and standing, and a 10 min. cardio at the end. Because of the multitude of reps and types of exercises it is hard to figure the CALORIE BURN during these sessions. Any ideas from you learned enthusiasts ???
    Larry "willing2try"

Hi Larry.

If you just want to know your energy expenditure during the workout (Or the closest estimation), there are Heart Rate Monitors that you can pair with a watch or directly to your phone. They should not cost more than 40-60 bucks.

Alternatively, i pair mine with a sports watch.

I wear a Garmin Fenix 5x and my wife wears a Garmin Vivoactive 3.
    Both have about a week's worth of battery before recharging and wrist based Heart Rate monitor, which will track you all day and night, give you your step count, stress level, measure your sleep and they also have a GPS that tracks your outdoor exercises.
    During exercise, their wrist based HRM is not very good as the watch keeps disconnecting from wrist, but paired with a heart rate monitor strap, you keep every second of the exercises thoroughly measured.

Hope this helps.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    tlpina82 wrote: »
    Larry "willing2try"

Hi Larry.

If you just want to know your energy expenditure during the workout (Or the closest estimation), there are Heart Rate Monitors that you can pair with a watch or directly to your phone. They should not cost more than 40-60 bucks.

Alternatively, i pair mine with a sports watch.

I wear a Garmin Fenix 5x and my wife wears a Garmin Vivoactive 3.
    Both have about a week's worth of battery before recharging and wrist based Heart Rate monitor, which will track you all day and night, give you your step count, stress level, measure your sleep and they also have a GPS that tracks your outdoor exercises.
    During exercise, their wrist based HRM is not very good as the watch keeps disconnecting from wrist, but paired with a heart rate monitor strap, you keep every second of the exercises thoroughly measured.

Hope this helps.

How does HR determine calories burned?
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    edited September 2019
    dewd2 wrote: »

Here we go again...
    Register your account, Enter your age, weight, measurements, BF% (If known) etc.
    Then by your heart-rate, the system estimates your calorie expenditure.
    Pair it with a watch and it will also measure movements, step counts, body temperature etc.

Is it 100% accurate, No... Is it better than "guestimating" by what the average of other people or using an online calculator... YES.

But I am curious to know how else can we help the original poster.
    If you guys have a better option, please, feel free to post an actual answer.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member

Here we go again...
    Register your account, Enter your age, weight, measurements, BF% (If known) etc.
    Pair it with a watch and it will also measure movements, step counts, body temperature etc.

Is it 100% accurate, No... Is it better than "guestimating" by what the average of other people or using an online calculator... YES.

So I burn significantly more calories running a mile in 6 minutes then I do running it in 10 minutes? What if I'm sick when I run it (higher hr)? What if I'm tired (higher hr)? What if I'm over trained (higher hr)?

Guestimating based on HR is no different then guestimating on some stupid machine (except many people believe their little device as it if knows all and then wonder why they don't get the results - "must be my metabolism").

BTW - Lifting heavy weights will raise your HR and burn very little. HR is not exactly a great way to measure but do what you do I guess...

How to help... Find something similar to what you are doing in the database. Figure the numbers will be inflated and cut it in half. Monitor yourself for a few weeks and see if you are getting the results you expect. If not, adjust up/down until you do. After a few months of this you will know roughly how much you burn.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member

Here we go again...

Except the exercises as described in the OP are unsuitable for the very vague estimates a HRM can give - which are only appropriate for a very limited range of exercises.
    I would be a complete waste of time and money for the OP. No it's not better at guestimating - it's just using technology inappropriately to guess instead.

Even for steady state cardio where HR can be a rough approximation for oxygen uptake there's an enormous range of accuracy/inccuracy across individuals and even an individual doing different exercises. There is no direct relationship from heartbeats to calories.

OP would do better (and save money) just logging the strength part of the workout as "strength training" and find a low impact cardio entry to log the rest.

• willing2try
    willing2try Posts: 23 Member
    Thanks to all of you for your responses! I agree that Calisthenics would be the closest description of the workout in the database. And the heart rate monitor strap would be the most exact measurement. Thanks for your quick and insightful responses! Take care! :)