Counting calories without a scale

Options
I really want to find a way to accurately count calories but I don't have a food scale. Is there any way to get even an estimate about the amount of calories I'm consuming on a day to day basis?

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    It depends what you mean by "accurately". A food scale is the most accurate way to count calories. Any other way won't be as accurate. But it may still be suitable for weight loss. I only use a food scale for a portion of my food and I have lost 40 pounds.

The key is to set reasonable goals and go at a slow and moderate pace.
  • zebasschick
    zebasschick Posts: 909 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    you can, but only sort of. there are things that you can't accurately measure - you have to weigh them.

you can get a food scale for less than $10.
    https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozeri-ZK14-Pronto-Digital-Multifunction-Kitchen-and-Food-Scale/54304214?
    i had the black on silver one, which is the cheapest color right now, currently under $12, and it was accurate.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    You don’t need a scale, some do (me included), but it is not necessary. Track your progress and if you are not making any progress drop or add calories by 100 calories a day.
  • hixa30
    hixa30 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    You don’t need a scale, some do (me included), but it is not necessary. Track your progress and if you are not making any progress drop or add calories by 100 calories a day.

This is what I plan on doing, varying my intake depending on how much I weigh.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    hixa30 wrote: »

Okay, but... it takes food 23 to 72 hours to move through your digestive tract, depending on the person. So, how will you figure your intake according to your weight?
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    LyndaBSS wrote: »

Okay, but... it takes food 23 to 72 hours to move through your digestive tract, depending on the person. So, how will you figure your intake according to your weight?

I do it and use my trend weight and adjust..I actually don't even log my intake. It does takes some trial and error but once you get to know your body and trends it can work.
  • hixa30
    hixa30 Posts: 274 Member
    Options

I'll use the classic technique: I'll wing it. Also I generally eat similar food each day so there's not much food related weight variation.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »

I do it and use my trend weight and adjust..I actually don't even log my intake. It does takes some trial and error but once you get to know your body and trends it can work.

Interesting, thanks for sharing.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    How accurate you need to be depends in part on how much you’re trying to lose. If you have a lot to lose, your deficit is big enough that some errors in logging probably aren’t a big deal. But if you’re only trying to lose 10 pounds or so, most people find that they need to be very accurate with their logging.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    How accurate you need to be depends in part on how much you’re trying to lose. If you have a lot to lose, your deficit is big enough that some errors in logging probably aren’t a big deal. But if you’re only trying to lose 10 pounds or so, most people find that they need to be very accurate with their logging.

@Honeyacid in June your goal was to lose 30-40 pounds by 2020 - where are you at now?
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Try it and see what the results are. If you are losing too fast or aren't losing anything, then get a scale and see if that works better for you.

I didn't use a scale, but still lost weight and have managed to maintain it for several years. Like Giselle, i do a lot of estimating and using generic entries. However, I do a lot of exercise. I eat back all my calories, but I burn more than the app says, which gives me some leeway. I also split meals with my husband but log 50% of the calories in the meal, so sometimes I am overestimating my intake.
  • stephaniezinone
    stephaniezinone Posts: 22 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    jdog022 wrote: »
    Based on all your other threads I’m concerned for your overall well being. Your approaches are drastic and dangerous. I’ll tell you what, how about you axe all the crazy “diets” and plans you posted about , just eat in a slight calorie deficit every day and I’ll amazon prime you a scale for free? I would be happy to pay forward what this community has taught me

Quoting because you’re right and a really kind/cool person and liking that post isn’t enough.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    @Gisel2015

You're a very special snowflake. ❄

Thank you <3 !