Another dreaded TDEE question, sorry

OK first let me apologize for yet another TDEE thread.

Here are my stats:

Female
179 pounds
6'0" (72in)
Age 47
I work out an average of 5 hrs per week strength training and 2 hours per week cardio for a total of 7 hours per week..

According to Scooby's TDEE calculator for "desk job" my results are

BMR 1544
TDEE 1853
20% 1482 (which is below my BMR)

for "3-5 hours moderate" my results are
BMR 1544
TDEE 2394
20% 1915

This is where I need help, which do I use? I have read to use your BMR, use your TDEE less 20%, use your TDEE without the 20%, don't include activity, include activity, eat your calories back, don't eat your calories back, and so forth which leaves me unsure as to which one to use.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Your target is 1915 and don't log exercise calories.
  • the 1915 is your target
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member
    What is your goal weight?

Let's assume your TDEE is around 2400 including exercise. If you eat 1900, you should expect to lose 1 lb per week. Depending on how close you are to goal, that may or may not be appropriate, but seems like a good starting point.

Note that you wouldn't eat more for exercise because the exercise calories are already added.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    If you don't want to have to worry about logging exercise use TDEE with your exercise included and then take your deficit off. 20% might be too much considering you don't have a lot to lose to start with. I'm not sure where you're aiming but my daughter is 6' and she looks best around 160 to 165 with a good amount of muscle from sports. You'd probably be better off with only taking 10 to 15% off your TDEE.
  • pkbryant28
    pkbryant28 Posts: 146 Member

Let's assume your TDEE is around 2400 including exercise. If you eat 1900, you should expect to lose 1 lb per week. Depending on how close you are to goal, that may or may not be appropriate, but seems like a good starting point.

Note that you wouldn't eat more for exercise because the exercise calories are already added.

Goal weight is 145
  • pkbryant28
    My goal is 145 which is my happy weight. Size 10 some 8's and a medium shirt. (But that was with no muscle, my goal weight might very well change once I start getting muscles. :smile: )
  • wild_wild_life
    wild_wild_life Posts: 1,334 Member

Goal weight is 145

I usually refer to this chart to help guide an appropriate rate of loss. Since you're trying to lose 30 lbs, a 500 cal deficit (1 lb per week) is fine. As you get closer, it will be best to have a smaller deficit (although your TDEE will also decrease slightly as you lose).

Because TDEE is an estimate, if you find your loss is unexpectedly fast or slow you may need to adjust your calories again. If 1900 is a big increase from where you were, there may be some initial gain but since you are still well under your TDEE it should quickly equalize again.

75+ to lose = 2lbs 
    50-75 to lose = 1.5-2lbs 
    25-50 to lose = 1-1.5lbs 
    15-25 to lose = 1lbs 
    0-15 to lose = 0.5lbs 
  • pkbryant28
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your assistance. It looks like 1900 is my magic number. :-)
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Delete.