Garmin Fenix 6 has built in solar charging

Options
They're continually raising the bar, this one is impressive. Expensive too.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2019/08/garmin-fenix6-pro-solar-series-review.html

Replies

• z4oslo
    z4oslo Posts: 229 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I want the 6X sapphire. solar charging is kinda useless unless you are REALLY hardcore. Also no Sapphire with solar so thats also a no no for me
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    Not sold on the solar charging so I think I'll get the regular PRO version. I do like the the PacePro feature and I think I'd use that alot. Plus, it is bigger (my 50 year old eyes like bigger :D ).
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    The 6X Sapphire seems like the obvious one for me. With 60 hours of every second GPS time I won't need solar. It's not worth giving up the sapphire crystal for, let alone the money.

But Garmin keeps introducing things in one watch and then including them later in lots of watches. The F5X was their only mapping watch, then all F5+ ones had it. Same with the oxygen sensor. And that bought a solar company, the writing on the wall looks clear. Plus this is v1 of that technology in their watches, maybe in a few years I'll have one with solar charging.

Would be kind of neat to have a report/chart of how much sun I got every day over the course of the year. Seasonal Affective Disorder is a real thing.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Yeah it's the super expensive ones that have the solar charging. Garmin's current strategy of having obscenely expensive watches is an interesting one. That's for sure.

I'm not currently in the market for a new watch, but my next one might be a Fenix of some sort. Not with the solar charging (I'm not willing to pay that much money), with the maps (and music and wifi), and with the scratch resistant glass. That said, I would likely only buy it during some sort of very good sale.