Only day 3 and the struggle is real!

Options
I'm so early in making dietary changes and yet I'm feeling overwhelmed vs motivated.

I've been highly addicted to soda pop for many years. Most days I would eat nothing all day, slaughter almost a 12 pack and then have a late, large dinner.

I decided to change that and for the last 3 days, I've allowed myself just 1 soda per day and the rest of the time I've been drinking water.

This change has been incredibly difficult.

Tracking calories has also been very hard. I've gone over the limit MFP set for me most days.

Originally, I planned to add some light exercise to the mix...just something simple like going for a walk every day.
I'm already feeling so overwhelmed with the dietary changes that I fear adding anything else is going to tip me over the edge, so I haven't done that.

After reading some stickied threads to get started as well as some other random threads in different sections here, the level of my ignorance in proper nutrition/dieting/exercising etc. has been overwhelming too.

Is this just how you feel until you start to notice some positive changes and then that motivates you to continue?

I need some guidance/help/friends/motivation!

Replies

• Sadie2PointOh
    Sadie2PointOh Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Small changes go a long way. Trying to change everything at once usually results in failure.

Do you have any specific suggestions?

Should I start out not counting calories, continuing with my usual routine but slowly scale back the number of sodas per day (such as one less soda per day until I'm down to only 1-2 sodas?)

Start making a healthy dinner choice at least and work on lowering the sodas later?

Work on incorporating breakfast and lunch and see if the soda intake lowers naturally due to the additional meals?

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Small changes go a long way. Trying to change everything at once usually results in failure.

Do you have any specific suggestions?

Should I start out not counting calories, continuing with my usual routine but slowly scale back the number of sodas per day (such as one less soda per day until I'm down to only 1-2 sodas?)

Start making a healthy dinner choice at least and work on lowering the sodas later?

Work on incorporating breakfast and lunch and see if the soda intake lowers naturally due to the additional meals?

Wherever you feel you can change the easiest. I would start by logging your food honestly and get used to the idea of logging and start making adjustments from there. Swapping out and substituting. Incorporating some exercise too if you want.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    The stickies at the top of the forums are worth their weight in gold.
  • Maria_FFM
    Maria_FFM Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it helps, but I once saw a video showing how much sugar goes in a can of Coke, and I couldnt never drink it the same way.
    I like it! And I drink it once in a while, but that image of all that sugar is always in my mind.

Try google it. Maybe it will have some effect on you as well? :)
  • alittleunwell7
    alittleunwell7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The first 1-2 week is the hardest. If you can just push through and make whatever positive changes you can, you will start to gain momentum. Your cravings will settle and you will start to enjoy the taste of healthier options more. At least it's been that way for me. I also added more vigerous exercise this time, and seeing how hard I have to work to burn those calories has really kept my food in check! Hang in there!
  • LeiLaura
    LeiLaura Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I think that's a good idea to make gradual changes over a month and not track anything for that adjustment period. You could cut down by 1 or 2 sodas per week and/or change to a lower cal/less addictive brand, while upping your meals to two a day. I would also suggest replacing the sodas with a drink you actively enjoy rather than tolerate. My first week, I replaced my own addiction (milky tea) with water and green tea. After two days, I couldn't bear the sight of them, and ended up going back to my beloved tea (but using skimmed milk instead of semi-skimmed - it took me about a week to get used to the flavour change) and I'm drinking low-calorie apple and blackcurrant diluting juice by the gallon. I daresay it's got yucky chemicals in, but it's a relatively small amount that goes into the water and it's making sure I'm getting my water down me each day, which is important in weight loss. In other words, yes - scale it back and make changes you can live with, one or two (max) at a time. A mentality that has been useful to me that I've gleaned from MFP is that you shouldn't make a change unless you can live with it forever. It's about lifestyle, not a temporary detox. So, the key is baby steps and tolerable (even tasty) changes. You don't need exercise to lose weight, but it might help you with feeling better mentally (it does for me), and if you think about walking as self-care in that vein, rather than exercise, you'll probably enjoy it more. There are also "cheats" like listening to music (I've just started doing this while swimming as I've found a waterproof mp3 player), but you don't need to find all the answers all at once. I promise you the changes WILL come, and they WILL be motivating, but you need to be kind to yourself and take it at the pace you need. You are where you are, and that is OK. Think of this whole venture as taking care of yourself, and every change is an act of self love, not a punishment. If a change you make does feel like punishment, then ditch it and try something else. You're not going to find the perfect regimen overnight, and that is also OK. Case in point - I went to a bodycombat class and it nearly killed me (ditto running). Instead of bullying myself into going another week or two and then quitting (like I would have done in the past), I just shrugged, laughed at myself, and got back in the pool. It's funny, I've discovered that swimming doesn't even feel like exercise to me, and that is how I sustain it. It's the same way with food - if it feels like a diet, it *is* a diet. If you're looking forward to what you're going to be eating, whilst knowing it contains nutrients as well as fat/protein/carbs, then it's a way off life. If portion control is factored in as well, weight loss WILL follow. Good luck, and sorry for the rant! I feel for you, and wanted to try to help. Your mantra word must be "sustainable" - in other words, "happy" :)
  • alittleunwell7
    alittleunwell7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    The workouts have been a reall game changer for me. I know you loose most of your weight by dieting, but when I have been working so, so hard in the gym it is keeping my eating in check. Like, I just killed myself to burn 500 calories, so I really dont want that nightly bowl of ice cream to wipe out the deficit. It's working for me this time. Also, I have a very specific goal I'm working towards- being able to participate in a hiking trip in 6 months. That is helping to keep me on track. Maybe find some kind of physical goal you can work towards? Good luck, I know it is hard, I've slipped more times than I can count. But you've come so far!
  • Cant_think_of_a_username
    Options
    Maybe try carbonated water instead of soda (or swap a few of them for carbonated water to begin with) - or switch to sugar free soda as a first step then cut down from there?

You need to find your reason for making these changes - what is at the very core of what you want to achieve and why? Once you have this clearly in mind you will have your own rocket fuel when it comes to motivation...

In practical terms, meal planning based around foods I actually enjoy (rather than feel obliged to eat) and bulk prep were game changers for me - it all became a lot simpler and I was less tempted to make poor/impulsive choices.
  • JJGottaLoseIt
    JJGottaLoseIt Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    First off Sadie, you are well on your way to make improvements to your health because you are already show a high degree of personal awareness! Cutting back from 12 cans of soda to 1 after many years of this habit will not be easy, and you may have to deal with cravings. If you are finding it hard to break the soda habit, there is the alternative of diet soda. I enjoy pop too, and so I did a bit of research and found that with today's current scientific knowledge-and we all know that can change-in order for you to break threshold of allowable aspartame you would have to consume about 20 cans of soda a day, or something like that-you can look it up to confirm 8). Diet soda may help reduce your desires for pop without all that sugar.

Tracking calories can be be very difficult. I have heard one expert say tracking meals takes like 5 minutes a day or some small figure like that, but I disagree. Unless you eat the same food over and over, or you don't confirm that nutrient profiles are right with the foods on this site-frequently they are wrong-then it does take some time. However, if you are really committed to losing excess fat, tracking calories can be very beneficial and helps make your weight loss more scientific, and it does become a bit easier over time.

While it is good to challenge yourself, we also need to know our limits, so don't feel like you have to do everything at once Sadie, but on the other hand, don't do less than you can 8). What works for one person does not necessarily work for another. Also, buying some meal replacements and using those from time to time when you don't feel like compiling nutrient profiles can give you a break when you need it.

Stay strong Sadie, and perhaps things will get easier and less overwhelming for you!
  • chris_in_cal
    chris_in_cal Posts: 2,184 Member
    Options
    Good luck.

How about starting with one simple change. No soda. Stop.

Believe it or not, that will soon be a lot easier.
    The part of your brain say "I want a soda" will have one firm, consistent, unwavering answer, "no"
    It will quiet down pretty quickly.

Your brain and your plan will soon have more space. Read the MFPer Sean A Anderson's blog, using the addiction model he has found peace and a few years of maintenance.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    There’s a significant calorie counting learning curve that doesn’t get a lot of discussion. No one was born counting calories. Although the basic principle of CICO is simple, applying it to our lives is complicated.

Try not to be too distressed when you struggle. The only way to actually get CICO working for you is trial and error. That takes time. Just keep working, it gets easier.

Weight loss is mostly problem solving. Over and over. Keep working. Losing a significant amount takes persistence. But it’s doable. I can tell you for a fact. Hang in.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Good luck.

How about starting with one simple change. No soda. Stop.

Believe it or not, that will soon be a lot easier.
    The part of your brain say "I want a soda" will have one firm, consistent, unwavering answer, "no"
    It will quiet down pretty quickly.

Your brain and your plan will soon have more space. Read the MFPer Sean A Anderson's blog, using the addiction model he has found peace and a few years of maintenance.

I second cutting out pop or switch to diet. Calories are around 150/12 oz can, for regular pop. You were likely getting close to, or more likely over, the recommended calories per day with pop alone.

Maybe try concentrating on a calorie deficit to start. Exercise isn’t necessary for weight loss, but is great for good, overall health. Anything you can do to move more would be beneficial, maybe walks to start out.

Best of luck!
  • Leannedoddy
    Leannedoddy Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think get diet soda and gradually cut them back whilst working on your healthy eating and sticking within your calorie goal.

For me if you want to drink loads of diet soda whilst your transitioning into healthy eating then do it - once you start getting more to grips with eating Healthy then start cutting them back!!

But hey if you love soda still have a soda!!! I love wine and I still have it!! Lol

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    Weight loss occurs at a calorie deficit. I would recommend that you start with this.

Then, slowly tweak your typical consumption of food and drink to stay in the deficit.

You're already leaps and bounds ahead because of reading the stickies and increasing your nutritional knowledge.

Good luck with your journey! 💟
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Yeah I think get diet soda and gradually cut them back whilst working on your healthy eating and sticking within your calorie goal.

For me if you want to drink loads of diet soda whilst your transitioning into healthy eating then do it - once you start getting more to grips with eating Healthy then start cutting them back!!

But hey if you love soda still have a soda!!! I love wine and I still have it!! Lol

I agree. Since soda is kind of a big deal for you, can you simply switch to diet soda and then gradually cut back over time? My best friend's husband lost his first 20 pounds from doing nothing other than switching from regular to diet soda. (He drank a lot of soda!) Don't try to do everything at once. Start with small successes and those successes will encourage you to do more and more! Good luck! <3
  • Sadie2PointOh
    Sadie2PointOh Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice/personal stories.
    I really appreciate it as these first few days have been really hard.

I thought the suggestions to switch to diet soda in order to make a small yet positive change were really good! I promptly went to the gas station just down the street to pick up a couple diet varieties to dissuade myself from grabbing one of the more easily accessible (and tastier) regular sodas sitting in my pantry.

The diet soda was about as undesirable as the bottled water.

Should I just try to stick it out with the water + only 1 regular soda? I was trying to think of ways to make it more fun or come up with a mini challenge for myself but none of my ideas were very exciting:

Fill up the bottled water garbage can faster than my regular garbage can challenge?

Stack up empty water bottles until they are taller than my height?

Drink until your urine is nearly colorless challenge? Beat that number the following day?

Does anyone have some good ideas?

• Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,582 Member
    Options
    For water you could make a chart with boxes to check off. You can also add water glasses on here to fill up the "glass". I love Diet soda and still sometimes have it, but have switched daily to making iced tea. I also add lemon, cucumber, and mint to my water so it isn't plain.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    You have the ability on your diary to add water as you drink it, or you could just keep track in the notes section.

If you don't like the diet soda (I don't), don't drink it. Don't eat or drink anything you don't like. It will put a negative spin on this experience for you.

In my opinion, you're really overthinking this whole thing. Focus on staying in a calorie deficit for now. Period.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    There are apps for water consumption.
    I’ve just learned to like water. I’ve tried all the add ins, but now they all just taste sweet to me. I have to have ice in my water. We use Britta Pitchers. I do like diet pop though, and always have some in the house. I have one every couple of weeks. You can drink too much water, so be aware of that.