Too Much and Too Little

Options
I've been tracking my diet on MFP again since Monday. I'm trying to cut back on carbs (not the Atkins diet) but I'm coming way over on protein.

I'm 4'11 and trying to lose 2 pounds a week(at least 50 total), so I'm on a net calorie limit of 1200 a day.
I'm averaging about 90 carbs a day or less on most days, except today because i had a biscuit. nom.
protein average is: 84
fat average is about 50g

my sugar has been double on some days- and lots has come from things like fruit and carrots.
then iron: less than 10 %rda - not sure what that means, but iron intake has been super low and i'm thinking of taking a supplement, but also know i need to eat more foods that contain iron.

could anyone suggest some tips for foods to eat to better balance out my diet, add the iron, decrease protein - if it's that serious, etc?

i'm trying to get healthier and think i'm on the right track, but my intakes are really skewed and i want them to be more balanced.

if i am going to continue to cut back on carbs, are there any tips i should be aware of? any do's or don'ts?

what are great low carb/low fat foods i can eat? i prefer cooked foods instead of raw veggies. i don't do much snacking and try to just get my calories in my 3 meals.

Replies

• Fit_For_A_Queen
    Options
    I am an advocate of the Atkins method. There is a part of me that is firmly convinced that not all of us have the same makeup. Just like some cars run on diesel, others are hybrid and others run on gasoline.

For me, I am a hybrid. I can have carbs, but they have to be limited. Currently I consume 20-25 net carbs/. Or I try to. Seems that I need a regimented black and white food plan. If I have choices, I make bad ones.

This is not my first rodeo with weight loss and there are many "programs" out there that work. What you need to figure out is what works for you and then stick to it. Weight Watchers does miracles for some. For me, its too many choices. HCG works for others, for me its an accident looking for a place to happen.

Ask others what they have tried and if it has worked for them. For me, weight is an ongoing isssue and there is no quick fix. I have to be in it for the long haul, hence I have chosen Atkins. It gives me choices that are good for me and keeps the foods that I would binge on.. off the list.

Good luck on your venture. Hopefully this has helped.
    Jaqui
  • Mocking0jay
    Mocking0jay Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    what are some veggies and foods you eat?
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong at all with those ratios. 90g carbs, 50g fat is nothing excessive and doesn't matter if you go over protein. Sugar is just a carb at the end of the day, so don't sweat it too much.

For iron, beef or organ meats, parsley, spinach, olives.
  • Mocking0jay
    Mocking0jay Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    does the type of olives matter? i'm not a big red meat eater and i definitely don't do organ meats. will an iron supplement be sufficient?

i guess they just look really excessive when i look at the reports section and see the bar charts, and it's like double what i'm supposed to have.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    Well, I work better off high protein + high carb and low fat, but each person will be different. Find out what works best for you. As long as you're hitting your caloric ranges it really doesn't matter.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    MFP's auto-set protein limit is very low, so don't worry about going over it. If you want, you can manually adjust your macronutrient limits under "Goals."
  • aliasbee
    aliasbee Posts: 27
    Options
    You may be surprised to know that not all nutrition information is listed on foods. For example, very few foods list their potassium! You could be eating enough iron and not know it.

However, as far as I know, there isn't a huge harm in taking supplements. Just try to keep track of how you feel before you take something, and how you feel afterwards for a few weeks. It's not an exact science.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Iron supplements can cause constipation.