Calorie algorithm for muscle gain and fat loss?

Having a hard time balancing my protein and calorie intake in order to keep gaining muscle weight and lose fat. I've read articles on bodybuilding.com, but they are not making sense. I could really use some practitioner advice. I can gain muscle and lose fat separately with no problem; but, doing them together is really proving to be difficult.

Replies

• sarrah_n
    sarrah_n Posts: 192 Member
    Great topic. I'm interested to see the feedback.
  • bellaamor30
    bellaamor30 Posts: 172 Member
    Bump to see responses

I'm on bodybuilding.com and have read a bunch on it but would love to learn more.
  • mimi337
    mimi337 Posts: 107 Member
    On MFP go to tdee information and the eat more to weigh less group.
  • infamousdrew76
    infamousdrew76 Posts: 176 Member
    You're better off sticking to bodybuilding.com for that topic. Most people on here will tell you it can't be done!
  • salemsaberhagen
    salemsaberhagen Posts: 54 Member
    Here is what I am able to gather off of bodybuilding.com: my basal metabolic rate (calories just to keep me alive at my current weight of 200) is 2027. A pound of muscle requires about 2500 cals. To burn a pound of fat you need to burn 3500 cals. My theory has always been to keep lifting more and heavy and keep the protein intake up. The muscle mass gained will overtake and burn the rest of their needed cals from the fat. However, I am not sure if this is correct. For about a year, I lifted and ate at least 200 grams of protein and about 3300 cals. I gained a lot of muscle....and quite a bit of fat too. I know what I am asking can be done- it is all a calculation of balancing the cals. I just do not know exactly how to do it. I have a suspicion it may come down to tweaking and experimentation. I'm currently intaking at least 200 grams of protein and hitting about 2500 cals per day. I have noticed some fat loss; however, now I am concerned that I may not be eating enough to support muscle growth. I love bodybuilding.com, but thier articles get too biological sometimes. I need help balancing the math.
  • infamousdrew76
    infamousdrew76 Posts: 176 Member
    Here is what I am able to gather off of bodybuilding.com: my basal metabolic rate (calories just to keep me alive at my current weight of 200) is 2027. A pound of muscle requires about 2500 cals. To burn a pound of fat you need to burn 3500 cals. My theory has always been to keep lifting more and heavy and keep the protein intake up. The muscle mass gained will overtake and burn the rest of their needed cals from the fat. However, I am not sure if this is correct. For about a year, I lifted and ate at least 200 grams of protein and about 3300 cals. I gained a lot of muscle....and quite a bit of fat too. I know what I am asking can be done- it is all a calculation of balancing the cals. I just do not know exactly how to do it. I have a suspicion it may come down to tweaking and experimentation. I'm currently intaking at least 200 grams of protein and hitting about 2500 cals per day. I have noticed some fat loss; however, now I am concerned that I may not be eating enough to support muscle growth. I love bodybuilding.com, but thier articles get too biological sometimes. I need help balancing the math.

I'm not one of those that believe it can't be done.

Based on the research I have done though, your calorie deficit needs to be pretty small which is hard to get right, and it would take a long time to drop the fat this way. Also the lower your body fat is, the more difficult it is. That is why most body builders with already low BF% do the bulk, cut cycles.

My guess is that you are right, and 2500 calories is way too low for you to try to achieve both simultaneously. I believe you'd have to have a pretty good idea of what you're actually burning through a day, and eat just slightly under it a bit.
  • jmadams111
    jmadams111 Posts: 145 Member
    I am no expert, but here has what has worked for me:

1 - to lose weight, eat less then TDEE
    2 - to burn fat do cardio 3 days a week
    3 - to build muscle, lift heavy 3 days a week
    4 - when lifting do it at a cardio rate by warming up to cardio heart rate and resting less than 60 seconds between sets and reps.
    5 -make sure you eat higher protien on lift days.

Right, wrong or indifferent, I have lost 110 lbs, 16 inches off my waist and 10 inches off my chest, etc., and I now can lift 2 to 3 times what I started at.

Good luck!
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    I don't really know the answer to this. However, I can say that eating the 40% carbs, 40% protein, 20% fat ratio seems to be working for me. FInally I see inches coming off, as well as a pound or two every other week. I am also starting to see changes in my body composition.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    If I am understanding your goal, you want to build muscle and cut fat. I am assuming you want to weigh the same ... just replace your fat with muscle.

If this is correct, then what I feel you are looking for is a "clean build" routine. For this routine, I follow Scooby's approach which has worked for me.

Eat at TDEE.

Cardio before workout: 20 minutes

Protein: 1 lb per body weight

Fat: 20% ... it comes out to ".33 * body weight)

Carbs will fill in the rest (from 45% to uppers 65%).
  • Hi salemsaberhag,

I totally agree with you that the toughest part of the game is to have a synchronized balance between muscle gain and fat loss. Personally i found it very effective when you have a systematic exercise schedule and diet to follow, as it will increase you effort by 130%. You can find out more professional information from :

http://getleanmuscle.com/

Keep going !