Macro Login

Options
Hello All.
Im struggling with login Macros appropriately.
I have had breakfast and it shows I have already went over my Carbs.
Can anyone assist me with what i have done wrong.

Many thanks

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,985 Member
    Options
    You are most likely looking at the percentages of carbs/fat/protein in that one meal.

• ToadstoolBetty
    ToadstoolBetty Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You need to go to the goal, press on the Macros and it should show you the grams for each macro.
    I'm doing low carb and was doing Keto so I had to learn how to use the macros on here.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    Hello All.
    Im struggling with login Macros appropriately.
    I have had breakfast and it shows I have already went over my Carbs.
    Can anyone assist me with what i have done wrong.

Many thanks

Don't feel that you have to fix everything in one jump. You can work at this gradually.

Log what you eat for a day or two. If you can hit your calorie goal, that's a plus, but don't worry too much about macros right at first.

After a few days, once logging is routine, start reviewing your diary. At that point, maybe look at whether you're way under your protein or fat goal, since those are things that have a healthy minimum requirement. If one of those is way low, look for what macro you're way over on. Then review your diary to find thing(s) that are high in your "over" macro, low in your "need more" macro, and that aren't super important to your feeling full and happy. Cut down on those foods, to make calorie room for different foods you like that have more of the "under" macro.

Then, keep chipping away at your eating gradually in that way, until you've remodeled your eating to a new way of eating that you enjoy, that meets your nutrition goals, that keeps you full and energetic, and that fits into your life in a happy and convenient way. That's the sweet spot.

As long as you're not severely undernourished now (as diagnosed by a doctor), then you can take your time and chip away at improving nutrition. Malnutrition is not something that develops instantly; it's gradual. If your doctor has in fact diagnosed a nutrition problem, ask him/her for a referral to a registered dietitian (RD) to help you with a new eating plan that can be phased in more quickly. Otherwise, you can just keep working at gradual improvement on your own, and it'll be fine.

If you like the idea of this "gradual remodeling" approach, the thread linked below goes into how to do it, in more detail:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10636388/free-customized-personal-weight-loss-eating-plan-not-spam-or-mlm/p1

BTW, it's never essential to be exact on every one of your macro goals every day, and there's no need to hit the right macro proportions in each individual meal. Close on macros is plenty good enough (especially if above some days and below on others). And if you're getting to the right average macros, approximately, by the end of the day or averaged over a couple/few days, that's fine.

Best wishes!
  • Darraghnugent3
    Darraghnugent3 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the in depth info. Much appreciated.
    Just to update I have balanced my Macros and have come under them all for the past 4 days by small amounts however did go over quite a bit today with protein.
    Today i felt energentic and have only eaten 1400 calories out of a total of 2000. I dont feel hungry but unsure if that is to much of a big calorie deficit?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,267 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the in depth info. Much appreciated.
    Just to update I have balanced my Macros and have come under them all for the past 4 days by small amounts however did go over quite a bit today with protein.
    Today i felt energentic and have only eaten 1400 calories out of a total of 2000. I dont feel hungry but unsure if that is to much of a big calorie deficit?

Today's energy level is partly a product of yesterday's eating (and other days before that), many previous days' exercise, last night's (and maybe some other nights') sleep, and more. Getting pretty close to goals on all of those, most of the time, will be helpful overall.

If your goal is 2000 calories, 1400 is pretty low. One day being pretty low is not a huge big deal, but doing it regularly/frequently can be more of an issue. (Similarly, the rare day of pretty high calories isn't a big deal, either. ;) ).

For many of us who are or have recently been overweight/obese, our hunger cues are not a great guide to how much to eat (they're a little muddled). When I accidentally under-ate for a while (because MFP underestimated my calorie needs), I wasn't hungry, and my energy level was fine . . . until suddenly it wasn't. I felt weak and fatigued, and even though I ate more as soon as I realized there was a problem, it took several weeks to recover normal energy and strength. I can't recommend that!

If you find yourself feeling full but very low on calories routinely, add back some not-filling but calorie-dense foods you enjoy, like peanut butter, nuts, avocado, full-fat dairy rather than nonfat, or something like that.