Inexplicable weight gain

After six plus years of successful maintenance, I'm having trouble. I log and all the numbers looks good. But for the past year, every time I travel, I gain 5 pounds. These are short trips and I log the whole time - I know I'm not over-eating. I figure it's water from salt and flying (my ankles blow up like balloons).

It used to take me a week, then two, and now a month to get back down.

I'm still meticulous about logging. My calories can't get lower - I net 1230. I have started to exercise more. Since June I've added 45 minutes of elliptical 5 days a week to my normal 10K steps.

I took 3 trips this summer, bounced up 7 pounds (I swear it's not calories), and have only succeeded in losing 3. I am at a loss.

My current plan is to go on a strict Whole 30 plan for a month. That has been recommended by my doctor in the past and has worked well for me. Any other suggestions? I guess I could also go back to weighing my food.

Replies

• psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    nxd10 wrote: »
    After six plus years of successful maintenance, I'm having trouble. I log and all the numbers looks good. But for the past year, every time I travel, I gain 5 pounds. These are short trips and I log the whole time - I know I'm not over-eating. I figure it's water from salt and flying (my ankles blow up like balloons).

It used to take me a week, then two, and now a month to get back down.

I'm still meticulous about logging. My calories can't get lower - I net 1230. I have started to exercise more. Since June I've added 45 minutes of elliptical 5 days a week to my normal 10K steps.

I took 3 trips this summer, bounced up 7 pounds (I swear it's not calories), and have only succeeded in losing 3. I am at a loss.

My current plan is to go on a strict Whole 30 plan for a month. That has been recommended by my doctor in the past and has worked well for me. Any other suggestions? I guess I could also go back to weighing my food.

Why not just stay whole 30? I mean from what I have read, it is safe long term. Can always find compliant foods out and about. When you DO CHOOSE to deviate, just hop right back on?
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Why not just stay whole 30? I mean from what I have read, it is safe long term. Can always find compliant foods out and about. When you DO CHOOSE to deviate, just hop right back on?

I did Whole30 for a nine months last year. I just needed a break. We have other specialized diets in our home (celiac and low tyramine) and after a while it was too much.

• nxd10
    I never gain at home. It goes in bumps when I travel. And I eat sparcely when I travel and it will be three days and I gain ten pounds.

That's not fat.

The issue is how long it takes to lose it.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Its probably mostly down to the flight, from what I've read it can take up to a week for weight gain to go from flying and if you're flying a lot, there's going to be water retention a lot too. Plus eating out usually means high sodium. At least you know its not fat gain.
  • nxd10
    The sodium has become a major issue. It could be a kidney issue.

But doubling down on portion size is a food suggestion. All else, truth be told, there's new fat on my formerly petite backside.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    @nxd10 I could have written this post! I am finding this summer after having a two week vacation and then a month later a long weekend away that I am just not bouncing back down to where I usually sit - I'm actually 2lbs over my goal weight range of +/-5lbs - (i.e weighing 7lbs more!). I also have been maintaining for 6 years - and up til now pretty effortlessly. I haven't even needed to log my food in recent years until this spike started to be a new trend.

I have been weighing my food meticulously, having a consistent weekly deficit of 2000 calories minimum and exercising more - so far both to no avail and that's with 5 weeks of logging/data. Not sure what age you are but I suspect I'm peri-menopausal and I think hormones are playing a big part in this :/

All I know is I'll stick with eating at calorie deficit knowing it will work eventually, it has to! cos its science...right!

But I hear ya and it is really frustrating!

I have no intention of feeling fluffy at 50.

Ruth

But, I like your curves @LivingtheLeanDream ! I am a fan of what ole Freddy said...
    auccd1irh3oz.jpg

• sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    I had the same experience starting about about 8 mos ago. Gained 10# in 3 mos for (to me) no apparent reason.

Scared the *kitten* out of me because it seemed inexplicable, given that I was still logging everything I ate,and was weighing myself daily.

I was able to lose the 10# in another 3 mos but the reason for the initial wt gain is still a mystery to me.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    sgt1372 wrote: »
    I had the same experience starting about about 8 mos ago. Gained 10# in 3 mos for (to me) no apparent reason.

Scared the *kitten* out of me because it seemed inexplicable, given that I was still logging everything I ate,and was weighing myself daily.

I was able to lose the 10# in another 3 mos but the reason for the initial wt gain is still a mystery to me.

I was hoping you eventually could have shed light on why the gain :/ our bodies are hard to work out sometimes! especially given you were logging/weighing etc.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,974 Member
    sgt1372 wrote: »

I was hoping you eventually could have shed light on why the gain :/ our bodies are hard to work out sometimes! especially given you were logging/weighing etc.

My only guess is that I wasn't logging my cal intake accurately and eating much more than I thought I was at the time, despite no apparent chg in the way I was logging my food.
  • nxd10
    I know I don't overeat traveling - I actually eat very sparsely and carry a lot of food with me. But it's salty. High salt and flying put on a lot of water. I expect that.

I actually am pretty positive I know what's wrong. This thread has been helping me think through it. It's carbs.

You may not be sensitive to carbs, but I am. I come from a family where everyone has diabetes except me. Spent four days upping my protein and dropping my carbs (Whole30) and dropped 5 pounds. Had a slice of birthday cake last night and gained 3.

I just have to drop the sugar and grains. As I've gotten older (I'm 60) I think my body has gotten more and more sensitive to it. And I spent the summer drinking tea with sugar. It's not a lot of calories, but it's a lot of carbs.
  • pjwrt
    pjwrt Posts: 166 Member
    Take a train. There's no reason to leave a perfectly good airport.
  • nxd10
    edited September 2019
    I do think it's water. That's my point. I never thought that I could gain 10 pounds in fat in four days eating normal meals. It is water. I just don't know why I can't shed it after I return from traveling and a higher carb/higher salt diet. I always could. It has taken longer and longer. Now I simply can't.

The answer is, I have to stay on a paleo-like diet at this point in my life.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    nxd10 wrote: »
    I do think it's water. That's my point. I never thought that I could gain 10 pounds in fat in four days eating normal meals. It is water. I just don't know why I can't shed it after I return from traveling and a higher carb/higher salt diet. I always could. It has taken longer and longer. Now I simply can't.

The answer is, I have to stay on a paleo-like diet at this point in my life.

but if you know its only water and not fat gain, then there's not really an issue - maybe throw the scales out? I know I am tempted to do away with mine.