Getting in shape after Cauda Equina Syndrome

Options
Hi all! This isn't my first time trying to get healthy, but hopefully it sticks this time.

Long story short, on March 24th, I severely herniated a disc and got Cauda Equina Syndrome. Normally when people get CES, it's an emergency surgery and they go into surgery within 24 hours. Unfortunately for me, I was both stubborn, and I also presented the symptoms differently, so I went 2 months before getting diagnosed. On May 17, I finally got my discectomy and laminectomy at L4/L5.

For me, CES presented itself as severe leg weakness (I could barely hold myself up in the shower), extreme pain when walking, sciatica, and I couldn't engage the muscles that work my toes, so I essentially used my hips to swing from step to step. I also had saddle anesthesia (numbness in the groin area) that would come and go. Thankfully (but also not really, since it delayed my diagnosis), I didn't get the main CES symptom of losing bowel/bladder control. I ended up using a cane for balance cause I

I regained my leg strength immediately after surgery and all my symptoms have gone away except for lingering nerve damage in my left calf. This means I still can't engage the muscles that engage my toes when standing. This means I have a significant limp - it also limits the exercise I can do. I can't run - if I try to walk too fast, my left foot gets left behind. I'm also still doing physio to strengthen my core muscles to ensure I never herniate a disc again.

My main goal is to get my eating under control - I make terrific healthy meals... But portion control and snacking are my downfalls. I also need to figure out a way to stick with my physio's exercise plan.

The ridiculous thing that makes no sense is, during this terrible ordeal I experienced, all I wanted to do was exercise and never take my body for granted again. But, post-operation, I'm sliding back into bad habits. I know how terrible it can/will be if I don't take care of myself, but as you know, it's hard to break habits.

Fingers crossed!

Replies

• aimeefnpc
    aimeefnpc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hello! I feel for you! I was misdiagnosed when I was 18 for 4-5 months until I lost function of my right leg. I had herniated L3-S1 and had a triple level laminectomy with discectomy. I'm now 39 and have occasional flare-ups of back pain, but nothing like THAT! I wish you the best.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Options
    How about filling out the food diary a few days in advance? If you want to eat something not planned for, check the food diary to see if you have the calories available. If not, you don't eat it. It only takes a few days using this method to keep you disciplined.