Motivation to Not Eat Out

Options
13»

Replies

• jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Meal planning is key for me - thinking ahead, and making sure I have all the ingredients on hand.
  • clemandwestatl
    clemandwestatl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My motivation for not eating out is simply knowing that I’m cutting my calories significantly lower by cooking at home. Probably close to half!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    My motivation for not eating out is simply knowing that I’m cutting my calories significantly lower by cooking at home. Probably close to half!

Probably even more than half! People would be surprised at some of the practices at restaurants.

I'm like nighthawk584, found a passion for cooking.

Took some culinary classes, decided working in a professional kitchen wasn't for me, but learned that restaurants add so many unnecessary calories.

Like I always ordered a baked sweet potato, especially places like Texas Roadhouse. Found out they fry them in bacon grease, after they're baked. I thought I was ordering a healthy vegetarian option... Was wrong. Plus, I don't eat pork... Needless to say, I was upset. This is one of the reasons I quit eating out. Hidden ingredients, hidden calories.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    crockpot. prepare your meal in the crock pot b4 bed. put in on in the morning when you leave for work. then you know you have you supper already waiting for you when you get home. plus you will get a few suppers out of it at least that you can come home to already made and ready to heat up. if you have never tried crock pot cooking...its so super easy and here are tons of receipes on line. most are just dump all the ingredients in and flip the switch. some require a little more prep work.
  • sugarcakes38
    sugarcakes38 Posts: 80 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    As far as getting off on the right foot, the only reasonable thing I can suggest is cutting back significantly on eating out however you have to. Meet your calorie requirements through sensible eating, again however you choose, loads of ideas already here.

Concerning eating out, one thing I already knew about myself is that I’m an impulse/emotional/social eater. On top of that I live among other eaters of similar types and together we’ve enjoyed eating out as much as snacking and other pitfalls I’ve had to learn to steer clear of. Expensive, yeah. Routine, yeah. Calorific, every time, because I so often ate what I really wanted, as much as I wanted and to hell with the consequences.

Even now, there are more times I must stick to “no, thanks, I brought my lunch”, or “no thank you, I’ll go home and eat.” Or “No thanks, I brought my snacks.” May sound like a killjoy, I know I disappoint these days but its HOW I have made progress on ME. I did not lose this much by eating the way I always did. Sometimes that’s all the motivation I need to go straight home and eat instead of a drive thru.

Lastly, there’s nothing wrong in eating out once in a while. “Once in a while” is different for everyone, I’ve learned very quickly how seldom I can do this without setting myself up for unknown/hidden calorie content, full-fledge overeating and days of lingering water retention. It’s the PATTERN that I’ve had to learn to avoid, and often for me, that means gracefully declining, even if it’s tempting, even if it’s ME offering it to myself.
    Welcome back.