Help with what to set macros

I have been told I am an endomorph type body (which will panic when lost weight after a week and slow down metabolism and store fat again - would have survived as a cave man not eating for months) and my body is overloaded with hormones which don’t help either. What percentage should I set carbs protein and fats at? I am 41 and more than 22 stone and I was 13 stone only 7 years ago, since then I keep going up and down - it is depressing.

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    @sharlenelockley what are your health goals?

At the age of 63 five years ago I made pain management my only goal period.

Macros vary some in my case since I only track my weight to compute my net calories in and out. For 5 years Low Carb High High Fat Way Of Eating has been working out well for pain, hormones and weight in my case. Finally after 40 years of health decline going critical in 2014 I am walking back many of my risks of premature death. In my case my macros range for carbs is 5-10%, protein 20-40% and fats 50-75%. I eat what I now want when I get hungry until I get full. That never happened the prior 40 years of eating a high carb high fat WOE.

In my case I dropped 50 pounds the first year and have maintained that loss for the past 4 years but I never really changed what or how much eat. Many of my long term health issues are long since resolved.

One thing that I think helped me was in Oct 2014 I decided to never try to lose weight again after 40 years of dieting failure.

Now how you need to or want to eat may be very different based on your health objectives so do not try to just copies what others say and do but find what works for you. I find 98% of dieting advice can be harmful to my health.

My WOE seems to have helped balance my gut microbiome that that has been a positive factor. 40 years of IBS left the first 6 months and has been gone for 4.5 years now.

Best of success in finding Your Way Of Eating that works best for you. I will not be the mirror image of another's person Way Of Eating I am willing to bet.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    I have been told I am an endomorph type body (which will panic when lost weight after a week and slow down metabolism and store fat again - would have survived as a cave man not eating for months) and my body is overloaded with hormones which don’t help either. What percentage should I set carbs protein and fats at? I am 41 and more than 22 stone and I was 13 stone only 7 years ago, since then I keep going up and down - it is depressing.

Body types are not a thing. Your body will not slow down your metabolism after a week of calorie deficits. Whoever told you that is trying to make this harder than it needs to be.

If your goal is just weight loss, the MFP standard macros probably work just fine for you. If you want, you can bump up protein to 25% and take 5% off of one of the other ones.

Set your rate of loss to 2 pounds a week and eat the number of calories that MFP recommends for you. You will lose weight doing that, no matter your "body type".
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    And "cave men" did not survive for "months" without eating.

That too. Rather they starved to death quite frequently.
  • GaleHawkins
    ceiswyn wrote: »

This is woo. Which means 'rubbish trying to look like it's science'.

That could be the case. Do you have a scientific link that lends some credibility to your personal opinion?
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    edited September 2019

Read this thread, @sharlenelockley, and do the things it says. That's all you need.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

QFT

Somatypes are an old myth that has been thoroughly debunked, anyone who tells you different is either misinformed or trying to be manipulative. And the only person who can tell if you have a hormone problem is an endocrinologist.

Body type stories and scaring women about their hormones are unfortunately common strategies of the lower rungs of the diet industry trying to scam you. Live and learn :smile:

Start off with the default MFP macros, and if you'd like, tweak them as you learn which foods fill you up and make you feel well and energetic. Calories determine weight loss.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member
    OP first you need to work out your overall calories. Second you work out your macros. A good starting point is .8 grams per pound of goal weight for protein. .35 - .45grams per pound of goal weight for fat. Fill in the rest of your calories with carbs and try to get 15 grams of fiber per 1000 calories.
  • GaleHawkins

That could be the case. Do you have a scientific link that lends some credibility to your personal opinion?

Coming from you, that's rich :)

Somatotypes were a theory that was introduced over 70 years ago as an attempt to link body type and personality characteristics. The original study was deeply flawed, and the myth has been debunked regularly since. But still it limps on.

After his death he was even accused of being a penny thief too. Do you have a link to the debunking or is that also a myth?
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member

Somatotypes were a theory that was introduced over 70 years ago as an attempt to link body type and personality characteristics. The original study was deeply flawed, and the myth has been debunked regularly since. But still it limps on.

After his death he was even accused of being a penny thief too. Do you have a link to the debunking or is that also a myth?

*dislike* :)
  • GaleHawkins

Hey that is ok we all make statements that turn out to be myths we can not prove. I do think the low carb suggestion for that body type is good science based my personal experience.
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,256 Member
    edited September 2019

Hey that is ok we all make statements that turn out to be myths we can not prove. I do think the low carb suggestion for that body type is good science based my personal experience.

Do you have a scientific link that lends some credibility to your personal opinion? :D

(OK, I'll stop now. It's rude to derail the OP's thread, and they've probably got the idea by now)