Any fellow Cancer fighters returning to workouts after treatment/recovery?

Options
I was just given the green light from my Surgeon to get back to my workouts. I actually started last week - it felt awesome to get back to the gym. My workouts now are starting with mini-circuits (without weights) and they're for a lot less time than they used to be. But honestly, I'm so happy to be back at it. Just wondering you're in a similar position? Or maybe you have a new routine, new goals, new ideas. Would love to hear! Feel free to add me. Thank you, Jenny

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    My friend had had surgery, radiation, and chemo for colon cancer. She is still going through chemo, but has started lifting with me once a week. Since she has a port in her chest, her doctor said no to bench press and pec flys. She says she loves to sweat and is just so happy to be working out again. I wish you the best!
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,656 Member
    Options
    Go, you!

I'm a cancer survivor, too, but not recent. I started getting routinely active around 18 years ago in my mid 40s, after treatment for stage 3 breast cancer (bilateral mastectomies, 6 months of chemotherapy, 6 weeks of radiation). Previous to that, I'd been fairly inactive, or at least irregular about exercise. Challenging myself, yet pacing myself, was crucial. Since it sounds like you have a history of being active, you'll be in a much better starting position.

Wishing you a speedy return to full health, energy level and vitality! :flowerforyou:
  • wellnessmoi
    wellnessmoi Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @DancingMoosie you're very kind to help your friend in such a great way - lifting with her! I, too, have colon cancer along with a port - so I totally get it. I haven't actually lifted anything since January. I'm pretty excited to back together with my barbell workouts. But for right now, it's only cardio. thank you so much for the note!
  • wellnessmoi
    wellnessmoi Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    @AnnPT77 thank you for your honesty. Sounds like you've been through a ton, but so encouraging you're using the word "survivor". No, I haven't always been good about being active, but I was on a great wellness journey last year, until I was diagnosed in December. Been fighting ever since and I'm excited to get back to some routine. A new routine for my new normal. Whatever that is. :) Thank you for your thoughtful words, I really appreciate them!