Any others prediabetic want to team up?

I’m a 50 yr old female, looking at losing about 130 lbs. Been on here before, a few years ago, and lost almost 100 lbs only to put it all back and then some when I lost my mom. However, I’ve recently been told by the doc that I’m prediabetic. No shock there. I kinda figured as much based on various symptoms and the fact that I’m so overweight that just living is a lot of damn work, never mind trying to put on a pair of shoes!

So, here I am again, and I’m super motivated. I’m an all or nothing kind of lady, so I will lose the weight! As the quote goes, you either get busy living or get busy dying. I’m not ready to die yet!

If you’re in the same boat - basically, you gotta get it done - then let’s team up and cheer ourselves on! I will share my diary with friends. I’m trying to make sure that I don’t eat much or any added sugars, and I’m trying to stay in the low GI range as much as I can.

FYI I’m an anti-theist if that matters to you.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited September 2019
    Welcome to the community! <3

If you haven't already, read the stickies at the top of the getting started forum. Very informative and helpful.

Buy a food scale.

Good luck with your journey!
  • denjan333
    denjan333 Posts: 158 Member
    edited September 2019
    Delete
  • LyndaBSS
    edited September 2019
    Delete
  • LyndaBSS
    edited September 2019
    Delete
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    I am a diabetic, currently controlled with lifestyle.

If you are overweight, losing weight is the single best thing you can do for yourself.

Learning about carbs and occasionally making lower carb choices might help you get out of the prediabetic range faster. However, it should be lifestyle change over immediate results, so make choices that suit you personally while seeking the goal of weight loss.

Don't forget the importance of exercise in overall health. It is usually best to start small. If you aren't currently doing any exercise, just commit to walking for five minutes a day for the time being.
  • denjan333
    edited September 2019
    Delete
  • LyndaBSS
    edited September 2019
    I've got your back.

Well, for now, delete anything related to religion. ☺
  • denjan333
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I've got your back.

Well, for now, delete anything related to religion. ☺

Have done, but I can’t seem to edit my original post. Sorry, I didn’t mean to break the rules.
  • LyndaBSS
    edited September 2019
    You're good. I've been here a couple of months and I wasn't sure.

So, what kind of foods do you like?

@concordancia always shares great information and advice, as above.
  • denjan333

I like a lot of fruits and vegetables. I’m partial to berries, nectarines, lots of different salads. If I struggle anywhere it’s usually with getting enough fibre and protein while keeping calories on the lower end. But, since I’ve lost a bunch of weight before, it’s all familiar (I use a food scale, meal plan, watch nutrtients). I’m going to miss ice cream though. Hopefully if I get a good blood test result in three months, I can allow the odd treat. Right now I’m just focusing on getting out of prediabetic blood sugar range.

What kinds of things have helped you along the way the last couple of months?
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    denjan333 wrote: »

I like a lot of fruits and vegetables. I’m partial to berries, nectarines, lots of different salads. If I struggle anywhere it’s usually with getting enough fibre and protein while keeping calories on the lower end. But, since I’ve lost a bunch of weight before, it’s all familiar (I use a food scale, meal plan, watch nutrtients). I’m going to miss ice cream though. Hopefully if I get a good blood test result in three months, I can allow the odd treat. Right now I’m just focusing on getting out of prediabetic blood sugar range.

What kinds of things have helped you along the way the last couple of months?

Below is a detailed answer, but if you are looking for a diet plan, the Mediterranean Diet has the most positive research on its side. A similar plan would be the South Beach Diet.

I keep focused on the blood sugar goal: I use a monitor to check my fasting levels every morning and when I am curious about certain meals or workouts. I am paying for this out of pocket, as one was never prescribed to me. Although the A1c is a measure of 3 months, it is more heavily weighted towards the most recent month. That means you have time to figure out what works for you and get your new habits dialed in.

I did an elimination diet because my husband needed to do one for chronic pain. Ours was basically Whole30 without nightshades (there are no recipes for this, every single Whole 30 recipe has tomatoes, potatoes and/ peppers in it), but there were some additional restrictions. For example, his mother insists that beef causes her inflammation, so we didn't eat beef until it was properly reintroduced. As we reintroduced foods, I kept tabs on how foods affected my blood sugar, as well as the stuff they usually tell you to look for. Even when we were done, I continued eating that way (veg, fish, lamb, poultry) most of the time, but I am glad to have beans back for hummus and falafel. It sure makes meeting fiber goals easier.

I keep my carbs low, but the standard keto fad diet does not work for me. It actually gives me anxiety. I do use keto snack ideas for low carb treats, though. The only chocolate I have had in months is in keto fat bombs. I am currently set to 25c/25p/50f, but I came up with those numbers after trial and error. I am usually under on carbs, but get at least 15g of fiber, usually 25+. Fiber is important for blood sugar control. And the fats are primarily avocado, olive oil and nuts, because I might as well end up with a healthy heart, as well.

I do a minimum amount of exercise every single day. Basically, if I only do the minimum (originally 20 minutes for me), that is a rest day. I missed this Saturday because I went sailing, which is still better than sitting at home watching TV.

If this all seems overwhelming, I will repeat that I have full blown diabetes. Although my tests are in normal ranges, one, healthy but high carb meal will send my fasting numbers into the pre diabetic range for days. If you are prediabetic and overweight or obese, sustainable weightloss should be your primary focus.
  • denjan333
    Great info @concordancia

I don’t follow any “diet”. I’ve reviewed the info on glycemic index of foods, and am just keeping my nutrients at 40% carbs (or less), and 30% each fats and protein. But I find I’m usually low on carbs and protein and over on fats.

I was eating a lot of sugary things before I got the prediabetic blood results, and I’ve cut out pretty much all added sugar except the occasional half tsp in my tea.

Other than feeling a bit irritable from the lower carb intake I’m feeling pretty good so far. I’m down 8.1 lbs as of today. Got a long way to go but I’m determined to get there.
  • LyndaBSS
    edited September 2019
    I eat a pescatarian diet which is plant based with seafood, eggs and some dairy. I'm never hungry, my anxiety and depression symptoms have lessened and my skin is better. I don't feel deprived either.

I don't pay much attention to the macros. I focus on staying in a calorie deficit.
  • drmwc
    drmwc Posts: 982 Member
    edited September 2019
    I was diabetic, and following a diet, my 1AC is now normal. Feel free to add me.

The diet I followed was the "Abject Misery Diet", which I made up and named myself. I ate 1,600 calories a day for 3 months - maintenance seems to be over 2,500 so it was quite a big deficit. I've now lost 35 pounds, and I'm on maintenance. I also aim for 40/30/30 macro split. I cut out processed sugar, and went teetotal as it was the only way I could avoid being really hungry.