Barre

Options
Anyone try Barre? Is it good for beginners? Would twice a week drop in classes be enough? Looking for something to build up my strength, core, abs, balance etc. Just getting started really and have goals.

Replies

• tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I did one class at my gym. They offered us to try and it was a good class. Definitely suitable for beginners.
    And, for a beginner, since this is a full body workout, twice a week should be enough to get you started.
    You will get some results regardless just for starting to do something, but eventually, you will need to increase the load.

To determine if it will be good for your goals, we need to know what your goals are.

Can you share some details of where you are now and where you want to be?
  • MsOpus
    MsOpus Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is part of it. I want to make sure I am working on toning and building muscle as the weight comes off. I don't want to wake up one day at my goal weight and say "Oh yeah, guess I have to build some muscle to fill in some loose skin."

My goal is to run another triathlon next summer. I ran 2 sprint length tri's in 2017 and want to do it again. I don't think diving right into swim bike run all the time is the right way to go. I will work on those too, but my gut says build up some overall strength first.

Right now I am planning on aqua fit 3 times a week once they get an instructor at the gym. Right now I go and "do my own thing" and a swim a few laps. I also do yoga at home when the mood hits, (about once a week) but I am not great at it and really need to work on balance too. Yoga, for me, is more for my mind than body but that's not a bad thing either.

I am older, healthy but not exactly fit yet. Hope to lose about 45 pounds, build up some strength and muscle, set and meet goals and live happily ever after.
  • tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Nice... Seems like you're in a good point to get back into the saddle.
    So... A Tri training goes directly against building muscle.
    Now, since you've been out of it for a while, you will see some growth regardless, but just keep in mind that in the long run, your heavy focus on Cardio will go directly against muscle gains.

Regarding Barre...
    As I said before... It's fine to get you started.
    Doing it for a month or 2 won't hurt, but for your goal of losing weight and then subsequently training for a tri, I would focus on more effective training.

With your timeline, I would jump in right away with Bodybuilding.
    Lots of weight lifting to rebuild what you've lost and maybe add some.
    THis will be the bulk of your weight loss as well.

Then after a few months, get started with Tri Training while maintaining some weightlifting for muscle recuperation and preservation.
    The extensive running will then be backed by the muscles you've recuperated in bodybuilding.

The rest, is calorie deficit. There's no trick to losing weight.
    With the right focus, 45 lbs can be erased in 4 to 6 months with no problem.
    There's an old adage that's been beaten up, but is still true.
    "You cannot out-train a bad diet."

If you're really serious about it, keep in mind that the next 6 months to a year will be of a little sacrifice, but it will all be worth it when you arrive at the finish line of your try, not only completing the course, but with a 6 pack to show off.
  • MsOpus
    MsOpus Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I hesitate on the weight lifting/body building because I know nothing about it and cannot afford a personal trainer. And I am a weakling.
    There's a recipe for disaster right there.

Not that it's out of the question...hoping to build myself up to take some of the more intense classes at the gym in a couple months. Just not sure what yet. Open to suggestions.