Pregnant and weights?

Mommas out there help me out, I’m currently 5 weeks pregnant and I don’t want to lose my gains. How or what can I do? Currently was following Strong Curves.

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    You can usually continue with your regular routine, just lower intensity if needed. Certain exercises, like laying flat or hip thrusts may need to be subbed out. When in doubt, check with your doctor.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Women who lift weights before pregnancy can, unless contraindicated by their doctor, continue to lift weights. They and the child will be better for it.
  • javamoaka
    javamoaka Posts: 19 Member
    Hey Congrats! I'm not a mom obviously but my wife and I recently had a baby. Essentially she just slowly scaled back for 9 months. As the baby gets bigger you just don't want to have a lot of pressure on your pelvic floor. By week 36 she stopped lifting and was mostly just going for walks. Good luck!
  • AliNouveau
    AliNouveau Posts: 36,287 Member
    Congrats!!!

The doctors usually advise to keep up whatever activity you were doing before you got pregnant. I figured skated up to 6 months when I became too front heavy and off balance.
  • cptbarclay
    cptbarclay Posts: 2 Member
    You will be alright to continue most exercises for most of the pregnancy. Just be aware of over exerting yourself, laying on stomach once you get bigger, etc. If you’re having trouble with something, sub it out for a different exercise or shorten the range of motion. I wouldn’t recommend a record bench press, but exercise is still healthy while pregnant.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Ask your OB. Really.
  • julie_broadhead
    julie_broadhead Posts: 347 Member
    I talked with my obstetric team about my workouts. Together we came up with the best plan for me and my pregnancy. The general rule was that if a movement didn’t feel right, don’t do it.
  • JanetReyna
    JanetReyna Posts: 291 Member
    Girls i still don’t know what to do! Y’all think I should just follow strong curves like I was doing it?
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    JanetReyna wrote: »
    Girls i still don’t know what to do! Y’all think I should just follow strong curves like I was doing it?

Why won't you ask your dr? I was not allowed to do any exercise, not even walking much, because of my medical history, hormonal problems making my pregnancies very high risk and contractions as early as the first trimester. I have a friend who taught aerobic classes 8 hours per day until a couple of weeks before her due date. Different people, different situations, different instructions.
  • mkmaske23
    mkmaske23 Posts: 14 Member
    The reality is, your body is going to change. Heck, you are making a human!! Trust the process on this. I do CrossFit and I have scaled it back since becoming pregnant. I also can't do a lot of the moves that are common to crossfit (burpees, 100 pound squats). Be kind to yourself and listen to your doctors and your body.