Health anxiety - how do you cope?

A few days ago I was jokingly forced to stand on a scale by my mom. For context sake, I used to weigh myself at their place every fee months, and never went over 132lbs, which was green in my BMI book.
However I've been avoiding the scale for the past year, not sure why. So when I stood on that scale, I expected some 10-odd pounds would stack up. What I didn't expect was to see it was nearly 20. In less than a year.
Due to health anxiety, I've spent this year getting blood tests, thyroid hormone tests, ultrasounds, so I know that most likely my weight gain is not due to a //tumor// or something. But I'm still worried. My current idea is that antidepressants I was put on in February and putting aside gym membership last October ganged up on me.

Have any of you had similar experiences? I'd really find some support comofrting right now.

Also if this is a bad thread for a post like this, let me know, please!

Replies

• sensdornam
    sensdornam Posts: 6 Member
    @NorthCascades thanks. I was just spooked by the sudden weight gain since it never happened before.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    My anxiety meds were recently changed and were the catalyst for a 6 pound gain in a week. During that exact timeframe, I went over my calories just about daily. Weird coincidence.

Meds were reevaluated and I'm now starting to lose again. Life happens.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    It happens. Now that you are aware of it, you can take control. Start logging and keep a moderate deficit and you'll see change soon.
  • sensdornam
    @LyndaBSS ah, so good to hear from someone on medication, too! 6lbs is quite a bit (if you don't mind me saying), so I can rest a little easier now. I'm glad to hear you caught it on time, though, and good luck with gaining control back! :) thanks for the input, means a lot

@DancingMoosie absolutely! I've done my best to stop snacking, and I'm trying to at least get 10k steps logged every day to ease into working out again. Thanks for replying!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Contributing factors here are gym membership lapsed, and possibly medication, but the bottom line is most likely that you have been taking in more calories than your body burns over that time. Your reluctance to step on the scale may be due to, deep down, you realize you have been gaining weight. The good news is that you can lose the weight and be in your comfort zone next year at this time.
    BTW, what was your mother’s reason for having you, jokingly, get on the scale?
  • sensdornam
    @missysippy930 thanks for contributing! Yes, I suppose I knew deep down that I had gained weight. I just never thought it'd be this much, since the last time I ate so much pastry and processed sugars in the same timeframe, I gained a little less than 10lbs. Unpleasant surprise, all in all.

Aaand my mom just saw how bad my cellulite got, so she started prodding me to get on the scale. She knew something was up. Her jokes weren't malicious, I think she just wanted to make the situation lighthearted.