Calorie Counter

You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Does a diet high in ultra-processed foods cause deafness/blindness?

2»

Replies

• ookooladyookoolady Posts: 2Member Member Posts: 2Member Member
    I used to work for an ophthalmologist. Back in the 1980's he examined a Cambodian woman who had gone blind. She thought it was because she had cried so much after soldiers killed her family. When asked about her diet, she said she had eaten only white rice and tea for many years. The doctor advised her to eat vegetables and take vitamins but it was probably too late to restore her vision.
  • ktekcktekc Posts: 856Member Member Posts: 856Member Member
    i remember watching a TV show and there was a picky eater child as a character who developed survy because of lack of vitamin c - so its not unheard of but how the mom let it get that far...

i think it was on House the kid would only eat one kind of frozen cheeseburger or something.
  • yukfooyukfoo Posts: 581Member Member Posts: 581Member Member
    thanos5 wrote: »
    my mom claimed many things would make me blind.

My mom did too. I just did them 'til I needed glasses.
  • ceiswynceiswyn Posts: 1,973Member Member Posts: 1,973Member Member
    thanos5 wrote: »
    my mom claimed many things would make me blind.

My mother told me to eat up my crusts, it would make my hair curly.

As a result, I avoided eating crusts for five years. I really wanted straight hair so bad...
  • The_EnginerdThe_Enginerd Posts: 3,913Member Member Posts: 3,913Member Member
    I had some additional thoughts that occurred to me later and after seeing other discussion including poor populations, which eat almost no processed food but have a limited diet do to lack of resources. It's really the lack of dietary variety and nutrient deficiencies which could lead to this (provided that is actually what caused it in this case). The Golden Rice Project exists for this very reason. I imagine the stereotypical diet of chicken and broccoli lacks many important nutrients that would cause issues in the long term if not supplemented with a more varied diet (and sadly, I've been on MFP long enough to see someone eating nothing but this and receiving guidance to eat a more varied diet).
  • ritzvinritzvin Posts: 2,399Member, Premium Member Posts: 2,399Member, Premium Member
    i remember watching a TV show and there was a picky eater child as a character who developed survy because of lack of vitamin c - so its not unheard of but how the mom let it get that far...

not unheard of in college dorms either.
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Posts: 11,810Member Member Posts: 11,810Member Member
    I'm pretty sure that if there's a point about the food intake per se, it's primarily about nutrition, not about "ultra processed".

Most protein bars, for example, are ultra-processed foods, but not especially low in nutrients. Meal replacement shakes are usually ultra-processed foods, but they work pretty hard to make them fairly nutrient rich.

"Ultra processed" makes for a click-bait-y-er headline than "poor nutrition", though.

P.S. Not disagreeing with what others are saying about the coverage ignoring the role of psychological issues, either. There are multiple missed opportunities to enlighten in how this has been covered.