Walking

Options
Hello. I need some advice please. I started fitnesspal a few weeks back for about the tenth time 😁. I'm struggling with weight loss due to thyroid and menopause but 8 pounds has come off some before I started snd some with fitness pal. I walked every day for a week and gained a pound this week. I'm so upset about it because I feel I have lost weight but the scales show different. I'm not sure I have my calorie intake set right either.. Can someome advise please x

Replies

• tlpina82
    tlpina82 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I Don't think anyone here will be equipped to advise you on the Thyroid condition. We can't know how much that impacts your overall metabolism. Please, make sure your doctor signs off on any diet plan.
    Last thing we want to see is someone getting sick from following someone's opinions.

However... A few things are true for everyone else, so you can at least check if you're doing what everyone else is.

What you need to know:
    - 1 lbs is well within the normal fluid fluctuation. depending on various factors, including salt intake, inflammation, mineral composition in your body etc, your weight may fluctuate. Avg for an adult is 5-6 lbs a day.
    When I am cutting, I've had 10-12 lbs drop in a day and then gained 8 of those back after i re-hydrated.
    Think of weight loss as a net-loss over a period. I measure twice a week, at the same time, on an empty stomach, then average it out over the week and the month.
    if you gained 1 lb today, but over the month lost 10, you're at a net loss.

What you can do to make sure you're supporting your weight loss.
    - Nutrition: Given your hormonal state at the moment, you have to make sure you maximize nutrition, so you can, at least support your body to try to heal some of the thyroid damage.
    Also, proper nutrition allows you to cut calories without the risk of being malnourished (That's obvious, but worth mentioning)
    Strive for natural variety. Nothing processed. Whole foods, lots of vegetables in all different colors and shapes.

- Movement - You need to move for health... Moving helps with weight loss, but the most important part of it is to get your cardio vascular health to restore itself.

- Calorie Deficit - This is where your weight loss is defined. You cannot be at a loss without a calorie deficit.
    As an Example.. I will use round numbers. MFP does a pretty good job at calculating where you're meant to be as an AVERAGE, but good ol' observation is the best science. So make sure you're watching your progression.
    After entering your data (Age, height, weight, measurements etc.) into Fitness pal, the system will give you options to lose weight by cutting 1 or 2 lbs per week.
    Roughly, 3500 calories equals 1 lb of fat. Divided by 7 days = 500 calorie deficit a day. (1000 if you're looking to lose 2 lbs per week).

So... If your maintenance point is 2500 calories, MFP will tell you to eat 2000 to lose a pound and 1500 to lose 2 pounds a week + any exercise calories.
    This is where your observation will come into play. It's very easy to overestimate or underestimate both food consumption and exercise calories.
    Try weighing your food at least during the beginning to properly understand the portions and careful with oils. It's easy to underestimate your food when you use oils.

Sorry about the long response, but i hope it helps you.

• dewit
    dewit Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    Keep going! Fluctuations during the month are normal. Sometimes it's just a saltier meal in the evening that triggers a bit of a weight gain. Keep doing what you've been doing that's worked and when you feel ready, up the calorie burn. The learner you'll get, the less you'll burn with the same activities :wink:.
  • NicolaRenae
    NicolaRenae Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I'm really confused about calorie deficit
  • Pamela_Sue
    Pamela_Sue Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    Hi. Enter your height and current weight into MFP.
    Select daily activity level (your daily routine without exercise).
    Select amount you wish to lose per week. MFP recommends the following:

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb/week is ideal
    If you have 15-25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lb/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lb/week is ideal

MFP will calculate your daily calorie requirements (before any exercise). This number is how many calories to eat each day to meet your above weight loss goal of .5 to 2 pounds per week. This number will show up on your food diary.

Enter any exercise into your exercise diary each day. MFP will add your exercise calories to your food diary. MFP intends for you to eat back (add in) all of your exercise calories in addition to your daily calories. However, because exercise equipment varies, etc., some people recommend eating back 50% of your exercise calories to start and seeing how your weight loss goes, then adjust accordingly.

In closing, there are many menopausal and thyroid women on MFP. I am one of them. As long as you are being treated for your thyroid and it is now at normal levels, it should have minimal effect on your weight loss. SO many women here who have successfully lost weight and maintained with thyroid issues and being in menopause. Don't let that discourage you.

It all comes down to CICO (calories in, calories out). Find an eating plan/diet that works for you. Best wishes on your health journey
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Hello. I need some advice please. I started fitnesspal a few weeks back for about the tenth time 😁. I'm struggling with weight loss due to thyroid and menopause but 8 pounds has come off some before I started snd some with fitness pal. I walked every day for a week and gained a pound this week. I'm so upset about it because I feel I have lost weight but the scales show different. I'm not sure I have my calorie intake set right either.. Can someome advise please x

Is your thyroid condition well controlled? If it is, it shouldn't hinder weight loss. If it's not, that needs to be addressed.

If you were previously sedentary and just started walking this week, it's possible you are retaining some water for muscle recovery. Regardless, you can't judge success or failure from one week's scale reading, weight loss simply isn't linear:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10084670/it-is-unlikely-that-you-will-lose-weight-consistently-i-e-weight-loss-is-not-linear/p1

This thread might help too:
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1