Bcaa's? Supplements? Are they really necessary?

How important are supplements when it comes to working out? And, what kind of supplements should I be adding in to my workouts? I'm a 27 year-old, female, my goal is to lose weight while also trying to define my muscles. Right now, the only supplement I take is a women's multivitamin.

I've heard of Creatine & Bcaa's, but don't know what they are or what they do exactly?

Replies

• Livhere
    Livhere Posts: 141 Member
    Thank you very much for all the information! I will open a tab now for the interview!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Examine.com is a great science-based resource to investigate supplements. I have no first-hand experience, but previous threads on the two supplements you mentioned seemed to lean towards - BCAAs are a waste, especially if you are eating a reasonable amount of protein, and creatine can be useful.

No supplements are "necessary" unless you have had blood work done showing some kind of deficiency that needs to be corrected. At best they are insurance or a possible small extra credit.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    BCAA are an incomplete protein and are useless. Adequate overall protein and possibly Creatine can be helpful for some. There is a thread here somewhere about most useful supplements you may be able to find with a search. Some research on BCAA.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27175106
    https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-017-0184-9
    https://jissn.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12970-016-0128-9
  • Livhere
    Thank you all for the info. I will check out those links! I have health issues which is why I take Women's One-A-Day multivitamin to help with vitamins I may fall short on. I'm a vegetarian as well & have been doing fine with the supplement I've got.

I asked about the supplements because it would seem every fitness site i'm on or person I see talk about fitness on youtube all say that these supplements like Bcaa's and creatine are crucially important and then go on list the ones they use in liquid or powder form.
  • mmapags
    Livhere wrote: »
    Thank you all for the info. I will check out those links! I have health issues which is why I take Women's One-A-Day multivitamin to help with vitamins I may fall short on. I'm a vegetarian as well & have been doing fine with the supplement I've got.

I asked about the supplements because it would seem every fitness site i'm on or person I see talk about fitness on youtube all say that these supplements like Bcaa's and creatine are crucially important and then go on list the ones they use in liquid or powder form.

Personally, I verify from an objective source any info i get from someone who has a vested interest in selling me something or is sponsored by someone who does.
  • Livhere
    Thanks again for the information guys! 😊
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member

A lot of that is either ego posturing or attempts at marketing. In addition to what others have said, supplements are especially pointless for beginners. By focusing on consistent workout frequency, proper form, and the appropriate intensity a beginning can often see 100% improvement in a few months. Contrast that with the 1%-2% you *might* realize using any supplement.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Creatine monohydrate is well studied and safe to take at a dosing of about 5g per day. No loading is required, nor is cycling on and off it. It's used to increase the availability of ATP (the fuel for muscular contraction) to muscle tissues. It's cheap enough (USD 20 for a year's supply) that I recommend everyone who's into weight training at least try it to see if help them get an additional repetition or two. Over time this can make a difference.

BCAAs I'm of two minds. I don't put a lot of stock in them on the daily stack, but I've found in my hydration half-gallon they seem to help make a lifting session feel a lot less like work - and I've tried the tank with both BCAA and without to see a difference. This you only need on lifting days, and personally I use it only in the gym.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Supplements are just that - supplements. They are beneficial when they supplement something you are deficient in. If you're not deficient, they are just excessive and amount to nothing more than expensive pee. If you are deficient, then they can be beneficial for overall health, performance, and progress/results (depending on what the nutrient/supplement is).

Vitamins/minerals can be supplemented if and when you know what your diet is otherwise deficient in.
    In most cases, there is rarely a need to use anything other than a protein supplement (and even that can be more for convenience than actual need) and maybe caffeine.
  • cvmcdonald4685
    cvmcdonald4685 Posts: 1 Member
    The only thing I use are bcaas- after a work out I would hurt for days. Now after workouts I drink a scoop and feel amazing, it’s energizing and makes the pain less noticeable.
  • IamSimonIam
    IamSimonIam Posts: 29 Member
    I'd say the only 2 supplements you should take are creatine and a good pre-workout with caffeine in it.
    Creatine is proven to increase blood flow to the muscles, more blood, more workout and quicker recovery.
    Caffeine is proven to stimulate you to do more reps, more reps, more gains.
    If I've one piece of advice, is eat clean and well. No processed foods and eat a large variety of food, that way you'll stay healthy inside.
    I've take most supplements, and I can say that the best improvements and gains I've made have been when my nutrition has been spot on, and taking creatine and a caffeine pre-workout.
    I also take a multivitamin supplement, just because I'm 49 and want to stay healthy.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member

You would say the same if you sold them for a living ;)
  • JBanx256
    JBanx256 Posts: 1,471 Member
    Assuming you are getting a decent amount of protein in your diet, BCAA's are worthless unless you just really enjoy spending money to have neat-o flavored water.
  • oocdc2
    oocdc2 Posts: 1,361 Member
    JBanx256 wrote: »
    Assuming you are getting a decent amount of protein in your diet, BCAA's are worthless unless you just really enjoy spending money to have neat-o flavored water.

You could be right, but I do like my neat-o flavored water! Adding a scoop of BCAA can make water go down easier.
  • mmapags
    oocdc2 wrote: »
    JBanx256 wrote: »

You could be right, but I do like my neat-o flavored water! Adding a scoop of BCAA can make water go down easier.

Why would water go down hard? My plain old water goes down just fine.