Anyone Intermittent Fasting AND Plantbased?

Options
Curious to know how these would pair??. Since being plantbased is generally high carb I’ve been considering I.F. to help.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I eat in an 8 hour window but don't call it IF. Some people would. Meh.

I eat pescatarian which is plant based with seafood, eggs and some dairy.

I stay in a calorie deficit and lose weight.

Good luck with your journey!
  • VegjoyP
    VegjoyP Posts: 2,735 Member
    Options
    Im primarily plant based with fish, lower card and higher fat to protein. It is about total calories however by IF, it can benefit digestion, possible to go into ketosis and some have improved insulin response. Many here go mainly by calorie counting. Thats bottom line, adding criteria is personal preference. I do not see any issue with it, go for it!
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    Since one is a style of eating and the other is a meal timing tool there is no conflict.

The question to ask is this going to make whatever your goals are easier to achieve or harder? I suggest treating a different meal timing plan as an experiment. If it makes things easier for you then it is a success. If it makes it harder you don't need it.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    I eat 100% plant-based from time to time. One of the common ways to do IF is to cut out a meal and eat only two times (and within a window). For me, it would be extremely difficult to get to my protein goal on 100% plant-based if I only ate 2x/day.

Of course, you can eat 3x or more within your window, if that appeals to you, and then it would just depend on whether you could hit nutritional goals and calories eating that way within your chosen window.

I say try it and see if you like it. However, since you said "Since being plantbased is generally high carb I’ve been considering I.F. to help," it's worth noting that neither being lower carb (or not high carb) nor meal timing really matters for weight loss, calories are what matter. For some being lower carb or limiting eating times (for example, I don't snack) help them reduce calories without counting or more easily stick to their calories if they are counting, but that's going to vary by person.
  • lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Being higher carb doesn't interfere with weight loss if you are in a calorie deficit.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    These are not mutually exclusive nor are they mutually inclusive. IF is about eating your entire days worth of calories within a set period. The foods you choose to consume during that period can be of any sort and that includes plant based.

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    You can eat plant based foods on any schedule that you prefer.

Neither being plant based nor IF will do anything special for weight loss, if that's what you're looking for help with. Weight loss is 100% caused by consistently being in a calorie deficit. It does not matter what specific foods you eat or what eating schedule you follow, unless those things help you achieve a calorie deficit.

If you're looking for some other type of help, please specify what it is that you need and we may be able to give you advice.
  • PWHF
    PWHF Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Tried IF with plant based, went back to meat/fish because of the sodium levels in meat substitutes as I need a lot of protein.
  • lrsirius
    lrsirius Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I am plant based and eat 16/8. I was able to drop 20# fairly easily using IF. I found IF taught me to be okay with feeling hungry, that hunger is transitory. I also feel more satiated as my meals are a little closer together.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    To help what? What are your goals?

^^^This...

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Curious to know how these would pair??. Since being plantbased is generally high carb I’ve been considering I.F. to help.

"High carb" per se is not an impediment to weight loss. When I was in Costa Rico I ate tropical fruit all day long, plus rice and beans twice per day. I find those carb sources very filling, and lost a size without even trying.

However, if you are getting your carbs from accidentally vegan foods like Oreos, you may not get much satiety for a lot of calories ;)

I knew plenty of healthy and fit vegan who likely ate upwards of 60% carbs. They made legumes the backbone of their diet.