Losing weight and not comfortable in my clothes

Options
I thought I'd feel better in my clothes now that they don't all fit the same way they did 20 lbs ago. I still have 80 lbs to go, so it's not a huge difference, but I can feel the difference and some aspects that have changed just suck. I am a little demotivated by the fact that the clothes that fit me don't, and it's not enough that I need to drop a whole size, but enough that nothing feels like it flatters me anymore. Does anyone else get that way?

I know that eventually I will have to buy new clothes/smaller sizes, but I'm not even there yet. I mean, I'm still motivated enough to keep losing weight, for other reasons, don't get me wrong. It's really the idea that I used to properly fit nice clothes and now don't. It feels like I'm dressing slobby/unprofessional because they don't "fit" right anymore. Anyone else?

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Options
    I started purchasing clothes that were a little bit more forgiving of weight loss. Wrap dresses instead of tailored pieces, things with stretch that are on the tighter side so they'd "shrink in" as I lost, ~fashionably~ oversized sweaters. I'm also a big fan of elastic waist belts. I definitely had a lot of clothes that went super unflattering pretty quickly, and just had to admit that they were done for. I enjoy thrifting so It wasn't quite as killer for me, but it was disappointing to have to give up some clothes that I loved quite early on. I did feel sloppy but at the same time it was kind of a nice reminder of the progress I made. I work in a place where people wear jeans and hoodies, though, so it was easier to get away with.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Sounds like new clothes are in order! I am a big fan of secondhand shopping and cheap stores like TJ Maxx to get "for now" clothes when you are losing weight. Capsule wardrobes and minimalism have been hot topics the past few years, and while I don't necessarily adhere to that myself, it was really helpful when I was in the middle of losing a lot and found myself with FAR fewer clothes than I normally had in my wardrobe. It really is okay to have 1-2 pairs of pants/jeans, 5 tops, 1 dress & 1 jacket or coat. Obviously that stuff varies by your profession, lifestyle, and climate. But generally if you pick nice items that can mix & match, you'll do fine with a fraction of your "usual" closet!

Down 130 lb, I realized I had to start buying new stuff every 20 lb or so because even some of my close friends & family were taking me aside to say "That top/skirt's way too big on you" and as someone who has always been into fashion/clothing, I was embarrassed!

I've also seen a lot of people start getting comments & compliments when they wear new clothes a size or two smaller. That doesn't motivate everyone but it can feel good!
  • VictorSmashes
    VictorSmashes Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I really appreciate all the replies! This is what I was afraid of though haha.

What kind of budget should I put toward my wardrobe? (General, not specific.) I’m a grad student, not working right now due to upcoming curricular internships and a large course load, so I’m basically broke. I do have some Nordstrom clothes that once I shrink out of, intend to take back, but obviously not 100% of my wardrobe is Nordstrom.

It’s funny because I watch all those “what I wish I knew before losing weight” videos and I guess I skimmed right over the whole clothing problem.
  • okc0mputr
    okc0mputr Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I personally did not let myself buy clothes after I gained weight. I knew I didn't want to stay that big, and buying clothing that fit would only enable me not to lose the weight. Its easier to live with your appearance with clothing that flatters your larger size in my opinion. I watched my entire family continually buy larger clothing until they all now shop in plus size stores, and that was definitely not what I wanted. Look at badly fitting clothes as just another reason to get in shape, so you can go on that big shopping trip once your goal is reached.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores are your friend for now! pick up some cheap clothing that does fit - it really helps to feel we look nice along the way.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Buy a few pieces that go with everything to mix and match. And spending money on a tailor is worth every penny. Buy quality, not quantity.

Oh and be ready..you may go down a shoe size.
  • annliz23
    annliz23 Posts: 3,258 Member
    Options
    Sounds like new clothes are in order! I am a big fan of secondhand shopping and cheap stores like TJ Maxx to get "for now" clothes when you are losing weight. Capsule wardrobes and minimalism have been hot topics the past few years, and while I don't necessarily adhere to that myself, it was really helpful when I was in the middle of losing a lot and found myself with FAR fewer clothes than I normally had in my wardrobe. It really is okay to have 1-2 pairs of pants/jeans, 5 tops, 1 dress & 1 jacket or coat. Obviously that stuff varies by your profession, lifestyle, and climate. But generally if you pick nice items that can mix & match, you'll do fine with a fraction of your "usual" closet!

Down 130 lb, I realized I had to start buying new stuff every 20 lb or so because even some of my close friends & family were taking me aside to say "That top/skirt's way too big on you" and as someone who has always been into fashion/clothing, I was embarrassed!

I've also seen a lot of people start getting comments & compliments when they wear new clothes a size or two smaller. That doesn't motivate everyone but it can feel good!

I also like secondhand shopping as they are cheap and good quality, they also are good when you are losing weight especially as I dont have a lot of money to change my wardrobe. I prefer to have a few things a bit tight so it makes me focus, if I wear baggy clothes I have found it make me sloppy but that's just how I feel in myself.
    Well done you seem to be doing well with the weight loss.
  • Eekitsthecook
    Eekitsthecook Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I hit the clearance racks obsessively. Forever 21’s plus size section is also a pretty handy “disposable fashion” option but like others, I rely heavily on clothes that look good as they become looser. For me, that’s tops and dresses with swing and hems with movement. Oversize sweaters and hoodies, and so on.
  • fatoldladyonamission
    Options
    I'm with you OP! I've not lost much yet but I've already noticed that my clothes(jeans especially) don't fit as I like them to. Ive got smaller sizes but they don't fit the way I like them to either. So for now I look like a saggy paper parcel tied in the middle with string! I suspect I'll need to lose another 17lbs to go into the size down so for now call me the bag lady!

All for a good cause!
  • saraonly9913
    saraonly9913 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I second thrift stores. Salvation army. Goodwill. Etc. You should feel good in the clothes you wear. Trust me! It is NOT worth spending money on new clothes while losing weight!. Congratulations on your weightloss$
  • koalathebear
    koalathebear Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I dropped from a size 18 down to 16, 14, 12 and now 10/8 ... the clothing journey was challenging but Target, Kmart and Op Shops were my friend! As I cycled through the clothes, I've been donating the outgrown clothes back ... I found that trying to wear my original clothes was pointless and buying new clothes equally pointless... but at the op shops like Salvos, Vinnies etc I could always find clothes that fit whatever size point I was at at that point in time. Belts only get you so far :D Especially when you start outshrinking your belts! Don't worry - it takes a while to get used your weirdly changing body and the new you. I still struggle to reconcile the reflection in the mirror with the person I've been for the last couple of decades...
  • Xellercin
    Xellercin Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    I hated that my clothes became unflattering when I lost weight. HATED IT. So I learned how to tailor my clothes. Not only did this allow me to continue wearing clothes I already had, but it made it very easy for me to buy cheap used clothes and make them fit well.

Find a way to feel good in your clothes as you go through this, it will really help. Whether it be learning to tailor like me or finding a really good used clothing shop, or like someone else said buying only clothes that are forgiving to size changes.