How to get a calorie deficit?

Options
I've learned new things since I joined MFP. But the most important thing that made me realize why the past half a year in gym was pointless is because I never had a calorie deficit.
I've tried many diets and "ways of eating". My problem is my obesity. Ugh, the beastly rolls of fat on my petite bones. The most I can do in gym, on a good day, is 500 calories. And besides that, my life's pretty much a life of a student - school, home, gym, sleep.

If I can't burn more than 500 calories a day, and I can't eat less than that, what am I supposed to do?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    A deficit isn't eating less than you burn at the gym, its eating less than you burn over a day. That 500 at the gym isn't the only burn you have, you burn a crapload of calories simply being alive! Depending on your height, weight and activity level, you will probably burn between 1300 and 2000 calories just by breathing, walking around, lifting your books, sleeping... do nOT try to eat less than 500 calories, that's silly and dangerous.

Google BMR calculator. Your BMR is how many calories you burn just by being alive. You shouldn't eat less than that number. then google TDEE calculator. This is your total daily energy expenditure, meaning how many cals you burn by doing whatever it is you do all day. Eat less than this number, and that's your deficit.
  • whipa494
    whipa494 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    TDEE (Total daily energy expenditure) is how many calories you burn a day doing all your daily activites including exercise.
    Find out your TDEE, eat below your TDEE calories (a good amount is usually 20% under) and you will lose weight.

Edited to say: see above!
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    You can figure your TDEE and take a % cut from it or you can set up your MFP with an appropriate "Job" activity level and appropriate loss per week for your weight. The deficit will be built into what MFP tells you to eat. Then when you go to the gym and burn those 500 calories you log it and then eat them back to keep your original deficit. Days you work out you end up eating more to fuel the workouts.
  • Chrissy_Ivers
    Options
    Alright, firstly thanks, everyone, for replying. Secondly, I weigh 218 pounds at a height of 5'4. I calculated my TDEE and BMR as you all advised, and the results are - I don't know to what accuracy - 2835 and 1833.6 respectively. But I don't work, I'm a student, and I go to gym 5-6 times a week at the least. So there you go.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    You can keep it simple - enter your info here at MFP, log your food and exercise, and eat to goal, or close to it, every day. That means eating back exercise cals so that your NET cals are near or at goal.

The deficit is already built into the daily goal that MFP gives you - meaning eat to goal daily, do zero exercise, and you'll lose weight. That's why the exercise cals are added back in when you log your activity.

Food is fuel!

Eat well, drink water, exercise, get good rest. :smile:
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Chrissy I hope you done`t mind I checked out your profile....and your friends way of doing things is not so good :noway:

What worked for me is not the whole `scooby website and tdee` but simply using MFP

You come over as an intelligent person so MFP is really easy to use. I am typing this to encourage you not in any way as an insult OK?

There are thousands of people using MFP to lose weight, just go with it enter your food and learn it is that simple x
  • laurelzp
    Options
    Hey Chrissy!

I actually snuck a peak at your profile, too, and I've been working out for the past year or so as well, and with very little results aside from some built up muscle. I'd even tried cutting down on carbohydrates, the whole diet game. But it turns out, even though the food I was eating was healthy, I was simply eating too much of it - going way over my "calorie goals" for the day, even if I had worked out a lot that day. And then would eat way less than what was healthy on the other days - what I now recognize as an amount that put my body in "starvation mode," making weight even harder to lose.

Everybody else seems to have explained it pretty well, but the long and short of it is this: that 500 calories at the gym is simply added to those you already have in the bank by just breathing and being alive. Your body needs a certain amount of energy to survive! What I mean to say is, I've found that if you're honest and diligent in keeping track of what you eat and the exercise you engage in, using MFP will help you keep on track to lose weight by letting you know how close you are to going over your net calorie goals. It'll tell you what calories your body needs just to maintain weight, and then keep your daily goal slightly below, so the calories you have stored are burnt along with those healthy ones you eat during the day.

At least that's what I've gathered.

Granted, I've just started on here! haha So I guess we'll see together (:

Laurel
  • Chrissy_Ivers
    Options
    Thank you all for sharing. I guess I was of two minds at first about which way to go with, but you've all convinced me for the better, healthier choice of weight loss. I will eat the calories recommended by MFP and continue working out and thus, hopefully, I'll get what I work for, no more no less.
    I truly never knew about BMR and TDEE. Just goes to show that people are more successful with friends, and while on this journey, that's what we all are.
    Thanks again and best of luck to everyone.
  • LeanneGoingThin
    LeanneGoingThin Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Fill out your mfp profile and it should do the calculating for you.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Fill out your mfp profile and it should do the calculating for you.

This! You're overthinking things, and not being consistant. Deficit is made in the kitchen, not the gym. If you follow MFP guidelines you will lose...gym or no. Its about portion control, but that doesn't mean you're starving yourself....and you can earn more calories to eat by exercising. Fill out the program...tell it you want to lose a pound to a pound and a half a week...then start logging, honestly and consistently. You can do this!
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    If you do decide to fill out the MFP profile info and go with what they tell you, be careful to avoid one pit I fell into early on in this program.

Your calorie goal is based on the assumption that you are doing a certain amount of exercise each week. If you have a few days where you burn a lot more, then eating back all those calories might get you into trouble.

For example, based on my height, weight, rate of loss, etc. MFP suggests I have a daily goal of 1350. It's assuming I'll be working out like I said I would and earning about 200 to 300 calories most days (I exercise 6 or 7 days a week) which I eat back. So my total caloric intake is close to 1500-1600 calories, which is about right for me to lose weight.

Well, one week I did a lot of extra exercises on 3 or 4 days and ate back those caloriesI ended up consuming 1800 - 1900 calories on those days and my weight started to climb. So now I only look at my total calorie count for the day and make sure I stick to my goal of around 1500 - 1600 calories, even if I happen to do lots more exercise on one day.

The way MFP is set up, one could fall into the trap of exercising to eat. In other words, you want dessert so you go out for a quick 5 km bike ride. Or you are going out for dinner and know you'll be eating a calorie rich meal so you throw in an extra hike that day. IME this doesn't work, and you just end up overeating. Mind you, if you consistently exercise more then of course you will need to up your daily calorie goals, but IME when it was just sporadic I was simply overeating and it affected my weight loss. Anyways, this is just my own personal experience.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    All the various TDEE calculators, BMR calculators, and MFP figures are estimates based on certain assumptions. What works for me is to create an average of various of the figures - 20%, round it to the nearest number divisible by 50 and that's my calorie target. I do them all for sedentary so that if I do exercise, I can let MFP add the exercise calories back in and eat them back when I wish or use them to balance other calorie overages during the week.
  • KatAdele
    KatAdele Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    My starting stats were very close to yours. I was 215 at 5'4". I workout now 6 days a week for 30-45minutes and eat around 1900-2000 calories on an average day. I've been steadily losing at that rate and not starving myself. It can be a bit of experiment to see where you lose the best but don't start too low.
  • princessrisariri
    princessrisariri Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    If you can't be bothered with all the calculating a good start for someone your size is to try eat 1500cals a day + what you exercise ontop.

So if you do 500cals exercise in a day you can eat 2000cal that day.

If that doesn't show any results after 2weeks try eating a bit less, doesn't work a little more.

You will find the weight losing magic number by trial and error, it is most likely between 1300-1800 a day+ eating back exercise

Also try include some simple weight work or floor work like crunches, lunges, squats, lifting small weights that helps your muscles to burn more cals for you in the background.