Looking for some insight

Options
I have been really concentrating on healthy eating and exercise since March. I usually eat no more than 1200 calories per day. Go to the gym 4 days per week doing 45 minutes of cardio for a calorie burn of a minimum of 450. Then I do some weight lifting after that. (I also stand all day long!) I lost 25 lbs in three months but have recently gained 7 and I'm still doing what I have been doing. I did have a bout with sepsis about 6 weeks ago and that put me down for a few weeks but I was back at it as soon as I could and worked my way up to where I was before. My Dr wants me to lose another 20 lbs to get at a healthy BMI. My problem is, I don't really know what else I can do to help the weight come off. I'm at my time limit as far as exercising goes and I know I shouldn't go any lower on calories. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can make this happen? TIA!!

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Do you weigh everything you eat? Are your measurements and entries correct?

I imagine you were treated at a hospital for the sepsis and on a saline drip?
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    That bout of sepsis sounds troubling and may have serious consequences for your metabolism for some time. If you have medical advice to lose weight, then you should warrant a referral to a nutritionist. (This is for US-style medicine, if you're elsewhere, things could be different.) A good nutritionist can be extremely helpful.

Best of luck!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    That bout of sepsis sounds troubling and may have serious consequences for your metabolism for some time. If you have medical advice to lose weight, then you should warrant a referral to a nutritionist. (This is for US-style medicine, if you're elsewhere, things could be different.) A good nutritionist can be extremely helpful.

Best of luck!
  • JMR010805
    JMR010805 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses! I will take it all into consideration and hopefully I will see some results with these changes, and perhaps a nutritionist as well. I don't weigh everything I eat but I do record everything and count calories, perhaps I'm overestimating.

This is my fifth time having sepsis, and it has messed with my metabolism every time; thanks for reminding me of that! Every time it is the same thing, hospitalized with iv fluids and multiple boluses of antibiotics pumped in, then oral antibiotics for some time after that.

I will get through this and be stronger for it!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    No more than 1200 calories with that much exercise is a recipe for disaster.

I posted my story on here in this forum "Under 1200 for weight loss" about gaining weight eating under 1200 and daily exercise, which turned out to be heart failure (water retention--started out gaining just a few pounds, then a few more, then woke up suffocated by 100 lbs gained water retention literally overnight).

Increase calories and eat back most of the exercise calories. Being thinner is not worth dying for. No one thinks it can happen to them, I didn't...I thought I was healthy.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,907 Member
    Options
    JMR010805 wrote: »
    Thank you all for your responses! I will take it all into consideration and hopefully I will see some results with these changes, and perhaps a nutritionist as well. I don't weigh everything I eat but I do record everything and count calories, perhaps I'm overestimating.

This is my fifth time having sepsis, and it has messed with my metabolism every time; thanks for reminding me of that! Every time it is the same thing, hospitalized with iv fluids and multiple boluses of antibiotics pumped in, then oral antibiotics for some time after that.

I will get through this and be stronger for it!

If you're in the US, I'd suggest a registered dietitian (RD) rather than a nutritionist. In most places, registered dietitian = someone with a college degree in a relevant field; nutritionist = someone who decided to print business cards calling themself a nutritionist (if you're lucky, might have a certificate from short-term education, but some of the places issuing those certificates . . . aren't very science-based). Ask your doctor for a referral to an RD.

BTW: You mention 450 calories for 45 minutes of exercise. Are you eating back those exercise calories, and if so, how are you estimating them? I don't know your bodyweight, but I gather you're female . . . 450 would be quite a high calorie total for 45 minutes of exercise. It's not impossible, but it's on the high side.

Best wishes!