Gym staff are starting to bother me

I've been going to the gym for the last few months now, I don't follow any plan I just get in there and get on the treadmill and run for 3k or 5k then I go home, every now and again I'll jump on the bike and do 30 minutes on that.

I go on my own and do what I enjoy, I've lost 20lbs in the past few months so whatever I am doing is working,

Now onto the staff, its only a little gym and at first I thought it was pretty nice the way that they greeted everyone and remembered everyone's face and had a bit of a chat with them when they first got in there, now though they are constantly badgering me to join the classes.

The other day I had a conversation with them that honestly went like this

Staff: How far did you run just then
Me: only 3k, I haven't been for the last week so I just wanted to get back in here and get back into my routine
Staff: you should come to one of the classes next week
Me: Nah I don't think it is for me, I just come in, do my bit and then go home
Staff: you should give one a try, they aren't just for girls you know
Me: (laughing) really...next you'll be telling me that the weights aren't just for men, honestly I'm fine with what I'm doing at the moment, I'm not really interested in classes and stuff like that, I enjoy what I'm doing at the moment
Staff: they are really good though, you should try it

And on it went, now to be honest the people that do the classes look like they enjoy them but the thing is, I'm not the most sociable of creatures at the best of times and I often get anxiety and feel really uncomfortable just speaking to people so working out in a group session is pretty much my idea of hell.

I may look like a grumpy sweaty warthog bouncing along on a treadmill but that's all that I need, I don't know how many more times I can tell them, and its happening nearly each time I go during staffed hours now.

Sorry for the rant, I just really had to get that off my chest.

Replies

• LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    Say no, thank you and walk away. Sadly, some people just don't listen. Plus, their job is to sell you classes.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    They are just doing their job. Politely decline and walk away.
  • BZAH10
    BZAH10 Posts: 5,710 Member
    Annoying, yes, but all you can do is say "no thank you!" and stop talking and move on. No need to engage in conversation or justify what you're doing. Not their business.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    I would be firm with them. I would tell them that you understand they are doing their job but you would appreciate it if they don't try to convince you on the classes anymore.

If they don't respect that, I would just not answer when they try to talk to them. Or find another gym.
  • glacia1
    glacia1 Posts: 1 Member
    Say no thank you, but also just maybe speak to the gym manager and express your concerns. I work at a gym and yes we encourage our clients to try new experiences, but we certainly don't want to harass them. It might be that they don't realize you've already had a few people approach you.
  • LyndaBSS
    LyndaBSS Posts: 6,964 Member
    If the gym has a website, leave a review including the staff's behavior. That will be noticed by management.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    I was going to say headphones too. As soon as they mention class. Put them on. Then walk away. Say nothing.
  • Katmary71
    Katmary71 Posts: 6,551 Member
    I agree with headphones. I put mine on before the enter the gym and don't take them off until I'm in the car. The people at the gym say hi and that's it.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    "I understand that you're supposed to drum up attendance for them but I have absolutely no interest in going to an exercise class. And frankly, all of the badgering me about joining one is turning me off of this place in general. I like to come in, do my workout while being minimally social, and go. I don't want to be in a group of people in close quarters. The idea of a home gym is sounding better every day."

That is what I'd say. Like you, I'm not interested at all in classes. A lot of folks like them, but they're not for me.
  • GrizzledSquirrel
    GrizzledSquirrel Posts: 120 Member
    Wear headphones. Nobody bothers you then.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    It hasn't been an issue at the place I have been going to (so far, knock wood). They make classes known and have faith their members will decide for themselves. I go and will continue to for access to three pools (my comfort zone) and a walking track because of my tendancy to let weather affect consistent outdoor walking. I am not that social either, however it is almost impossible for me in pool anyway because I wear non submersible hearings which are out and protective ear plugs that blocks much of the diminished sound coming thru.
  • brundell88
    brundell88 Posts: 12 Member
    Come on just try it.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    NovusDies wrote: »
    "I know your boss is after you to fill classes but you will never sell me one. Better luck with the next person"

That^^
  • Put your headphones in and act like you can’t hear anyone. Smile and keep it moving.
    Put your headphones in and act like you can’t hear anyone. Smile and keep it moving.
    Put your headphones in and act like you can’t hear anyone. Smile and keep it moving.

I do this often lol
  • Im very direct about stuff where I pay money. I would bluntly yet tactful let them know that’s not ever an interest and the gym should be a healthy haven not a sales cattle ranch. They want to sell classes so they can keep people depending on them. Their persistence is like the dude who asks you out every damn time and wears you down. They will catch a few gullible people but stand your ground. Passivity is trash.